• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce road tractor conversion

mikes47jeep

great work

not to be a jerk but...

the question is what are you going to haul with a deuce tractor?

5 tonners are gutless as it is, i cant see a deuce being much better

just wondering thats all

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
One enhancement item that was recommended to me by both Jack Tomlin and John Tennis (both very, very knowledgeable OD truck people) was to find a scrap M750 and take the springs off and put them on the deuce for extra weight carrying ability. I used a M750 trailer with my truck and it looked to me like using the M750 springs would be a very easy bolt on deal. As they use the same mounting points etc as the deuce does.

Attachments

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to have room for the quarter fenders to protect the fuel tanks? It looks kind of tight.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
the question is what are you going to haul with a deuce tractor?
5 tonners are gutless as it is, i cant see a deuce being much better
My M275 will pull an Expando Van on flat ground pretty good....when it hits a hill it falls flat on it's face.

With an LDS engine and a set of 1100X20 tires it would be really be a hoss.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M275 will pull an Expando Van on flat ground pretty good....when it hits a hill it falls flat on it's face.

With an LDS engine and a set of 1100X20 tires it would be really be a hoss.
Richard, does the frame section in #24 look familiar? Looks like AL rust on it.....:beer:

RAYZER

Thanks for all the possitive response guys!
The quarter fenders will go on soon after the brackets get straightened out,will also add some rear mud flaps.
This tractor will be hauling my "m146 rv conversion",i'll update that thread soon, I hope I can get 50 mph out of her on flat ground (might turn the fuel up some)
pulling the m146,the trailer weights 7350 lbs empty and I think I will have added another 2000 lbs to it after all is said and done.
Addressing the rear cross member vrs trailor pin issue: it's funny,i was sitting here the other night looking at some comparison pics of the m818 and the deuce tractor and did notice the notch out on the rear cross member on the m818,obviously there for pin clearance, I havn't tried hooking up yet,i hope it all clears!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M146 is stock form weighs half of what an expandible weighs. Even adding 2000# to one its not a heavy trailer. Ray, if your truck runs half way decent you should be able to run 55 all day long. I ran between 55 and 60 all the way to OH and back on my big piggyback trip. Between the M35A2 on the back and all of the gear I brought, I was towing 15,000#. Jellico Mountain in northern TN slowed me down to about 35 MPH at the top but I expected that. That was a 2568 mile trek without issue....well there was one issue. Of all the miles the last 2 inches were the worst. Backed the piggybacked cargo truck into a tree while parking it in my yard.

sierra117

Be sure when you go to hook up to the trailer that you grease the fifth wheel plate, don't want the trailer decideing where your going

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks