• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Updates on my uh-1e gunship

Stalwart

What kind of $$$ do these normally go for? I'm guessing half a million in great condition?
The varying prices with FLYABLE helicopters is the time remaining on components. Nearly EVERYTHING is time limited and has to be either rebuilt or replaced. I've seen helicopters that were extremely cheap, but under further inspection nearly every component was timed out.

Since there are no logs, data plates and missing serial numbers, I'm not even sure a "restricted" catagory applies but it isn't a candadate for a Standard Airworthiness Certificate, that much is certain. I'm not up on what it takes to make it airworthy for restricted, it's been too many years since Embry-Riddle and possible changes in the rules.

When I could afford a "restricted" one with some good component times left, the wife said no. Now that she likes them, the banks account says "no". :D

Pretty toy in any case!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The varying prices with FLYABLE helicopters is the time remaining on components. Nearly EVERYTHING is time limited and has to be either rebuilt or replaced. I've seen helicopters that were extremely cheap, but under further inspection nearly every component was timed out.

Since there are no logs, data plates and missing serial numbers, I'm not even sure a "restricted" catagory applies but it isn't a candadate for a Standard Airworthiness Certificate, that much is certain. I'm not up on what it takes to make it airworthy for restricted, it's been too many years since Embry-Riddle and possible changes in the rules.

When I could afford a "restricted" one with some good component times left, the wife said no. Now that she likes them, the banks account says "no". :D

Pretty toy in any case!
You have to buy a wreck to get the data plate and logs for the airframe and then you can "rebuild it with other parts". The components have no serial numbers so you are SOL there. You could try and use the component numbers off of a salvage part but I would not do that. You could probably find a good transmission housing and have the parts from the no serial number used to rebuild it. Same problem with the engine; nothing cheap when it comes to turbines. Blades will just have to be replaced with servicable units.

You would spend as much or more than you buy this for to make it airworthy.

Stalwart

Tow4, as I suspected, that was why I was once looking for one that was already airworthy, albeit in a restricted catagory. Even though I could afford the helicopter at the time, I suspect I'd be in the poorhouse from maintenance, even with an A&P in my pocket. Parts are expensive, and good parts are essential for keeping your life.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got that right Stalwart, even if you are an A&P and you can sign off the annual on a restricted category aircraft. Depending on the machine, almost all the components have to be sent out to be rebuilt or recertified because of the specialized nature of the component. As you know, a helicopter has more time or cycle limited components than any other light aircraft.

I know the seller says he had three A&Ps look this over; but unless I was very confident, I wouldn't even run it up. You pitch a blade even sitting on the ground and it's going to be an instant fireball.

If all the planets aligned and you found the right donor airframe to get all the data plates and log books, you are still looking at the big bucks to get everything inspected. If you had a knowledgeable IA to help you with the "rebuild" then maybe you could do it with enough $$$.

It's a neat machine. For the money it will probably sell for you can buy something cool you can fly.

Stalwart

Tow4,

As long as I don't have to fly a Bell 47 (I trained in those in 1986 in Daytona) or a Robinson R22 (recurrent training) I'd be happier. Flying a wood bladed B47 after a thunderstorm made me leery. It was shuffling around pretty good on the skids, 4-5 minutes of spin dry (no collective) threw off MOST of the water and imbalance. I was only 24, I wouldn't do that now. My lowly 10 hrs. of turbine time in a B206 was mostly Zzzzzzzzzzz, but the few minutes of stick time in a Hughes 500D was fun.

There is only so much an IA can let you "rebuild" in good conscience. I saw a Designated Mechanic Examiner (DME w/IA) go down playing it a little fast and loose with proceedures, his error was on the DME side though. aua

Heath_h49008

I wonder if the .gov actually destroys the logbooks, or if they are simply warehoused with some hope of recovery. Not that a redacted logbook would be of much use.

Back in the old days at the Air Zoo, there was no shortage of aircraft people wanted to donate, or even ones sitting around on static display. It was always corrosion and airframe hours, combined with operating cost, that kept them out of the air.

I'm glad you saved this rare aircraft... now it is only a matter of finding the right owner for her to get her paperwork done. I even helped in the "restoration" of a PT-22 that was more of a complete scratch manufacture than rebuild. I can't imagine the cost, but the right multimillionaire considered it a fun thing to do. They also sold/traded a beautiful DC-3 (that didn't fly) to the guy in Wisconsin who does the turbine conversions, for a nice green C-47... that will also never fly again. The rare executive/passenger DC-3 is the dudes new personal AC. (or so I was told) It just wasn't practical for us to get the bird in the air.

I have hope for this gunship... this is just a step in her path back to the skies.

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know the old saying that a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into--I'm sure there is an equivalent saying about aircraft--but what a way to go!!!!

AN/ARC186

Wow, I just read the history you listed on your e-bay ad, I used to with HMLA-267 at Camp Pendleton. was a bit later and we had N models, still, what with the shared history and all...........Honey!!!!!.........I'm going to buy a lottery ticket....be back in a bit...

5tonpuller

The best green toy of them ALL !!!! My wife just handed me a towel. Wifes just dont undersatnd green.
Looks great. The legal stuff to get it up really sucks, but is understandable. I would hate for it to drop
in on me for a visit. What's next? B52? Appachy?

rideni

i don't know, but if I had the money and the property, if I could get the thing to run I'd fly it over my own property and do what ever, you know shoot junk cars and have fun. Don't think I'd really have to worry if I stay under 50 feet.

Stalwart

If the FAA found out you WOULD have reason to worry, even at 50'. They don't play around, think ATF with fewer guns but more attitude.

Why do you think the owner won't say if it has, or will fly. That's a can of worms he smartly doesn't want to open.

rideni

if it's over my own property I don't think the FAA matters at all, it's my property, just like having a non-titled non-licensed car that I drive threw the fields and woods at the farm

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks