• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been holding out on pictures for a while. Here's about 2 months worth...

After a lot of searching I couldn't find the grease fittings I wanted for the jack shaft. So I made my own. These will eliminate having to do tricks and use special adapters to grease the A0/A1 jack shafts. I took a hollow 1/8" NPT plug and drilled/tapped it for a long 1/4-28 grease fitting. The thin fitting is long enough to get a standard grease gun tip locked on and thin enough to leave plenty of clearance between the U-joint lugs without contact.
20171201_001016.jpg

20171201_001030.jpg

20171201_001354.jpg

20171201_001652.jpg

My trademark chain sling has been hanging back there for a couple years now without issue. I buy a trailer and it becomes an issue. That thing is heavy and it has to be removed to hook up a trailer.
20170825_102953.jpg

I used one of the updated M939 frame tie-downs going through a self-locking hook and mounted it to a runner under the bed. Now I just lift the ring out of the pintle and drop it in the hook. Problem solved.
20171124_121123.jpg

Added a stainless glycerin filled gauge to my auxiliary tank. I have it angled so it can be read from inside the cab or from the ground. This gives me system pressure before all the check valves. The gauges on the dash are after the check valves. Will help with troubleshooting and while running air tools.
20171124_114001.jpg

Replaced the A1 bumperettes with some from an A2. The M322 EET trailers have a wide drawbar that presents a problem with turning radius. The A1 bumperettes have a bulge to the inside that takes up space between them. The A2 bumperettes are flat on the isides. This gives me about an 1-1/2" more space on either side which translates to a good bit more radius. They are also a little longer so I have 2 steps now.
20171031_100525.jpg

20171031_111617.jpg

20171109_210510.jpg

Replaced the PURest air dryer with another new one. Will rebuild the old one.

Replaced the air filter with a new one. It had been washed several times and was just looking tired.

gottaluvit

Swamp, would you please explain this filter "washing" process. Do you just spray it with water from the inside out? I just rattled loose the dust myself and the filter flow meter reads in the middle. Would like full flow, or at least closer.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swamp, would you please explain this filter "washing" process. Do you just spray it with water from the inside out? I just rattled loose the dust myself and the filter flow meter reads in the middle. Would like full flow, or at least closer.
I just take a spray bottle with Dawn dishsoap/water mixed and thoroughly saturate the inside and outside of the filter media. Let it sit for about 15 minutes. I then put a thick washcloth over the end of the water hose and spray the filter out from the inside. The washcloth allows for full flow over a large area without pressure. Pressure at the tap in this area is around 70-80 psi depending on the time of day. The washcloth knocks that down to nothing and allows me to clean about 4" at a time. I have a pedastal fan that will go completely horizontal and I use this to dry it. Takes about 15 minutes.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
So when your F 150 can't handle the 1 sheet of plywood for your wife's plywood reindeer project that I need to cut out you just have to take the 5 ton to Home Depot for a nice Saturday morning drive!!

Attachments

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes you just can’t risk bending it by closing the tailgate or having it slide out by leaving the tailgate open.

What a quandry.

Good call on the 5 ton.

twisted60

Finished up a small mod to the overhead I built before, moved my power hook up's to overhead for GPS, phone and back up camera. Added a voltage display coming off 24-12volt power supply, master power switch (green), 3 extra switches for future projects (red) and fuse box. Fuse box is velcro'd in so if I need to change a fuse I can just pull it out with out having to take the overhead down.

IMG_1462.jpgIMG_1468.jpg

Also replaced my truck's volt meter with a newer style that has numbers on it, now it agrees with my test meter instead of just sitting in the low green. I'll edit in a pic tomorrow.

big block 88

Thank you sir. Very nice work and looks great. Im gonna have to steal your idea on speakers. My 925a1 is actually pretty quite inside so a couple decent speakers would be nice.

twisted60

Thank you sir. Very nice work and looks great. Im gonna have to steal your idea on speakers. My 925a1 is actually pretty quite inside so a couple decent speakers would be nice.
Very easy to build, some scrap metal for bracing, I think it was 1/4" plywood, bolt it together, run wires.
Enjoy, if I can help let me know.

twisted60

Follow on to post #7205. Pictures of my new volt meter, so far I like it a lot more than the normal volt meter, I like to see the numbers and as I said in earlier post now it agrees with the numbers seen on my test meter.

IMG_1496.jpgIMG_1501.jpgIMG_1502.jpgIMG_1504.jpgIMG_1509.jpg

Yes, I know my ABS light is on, I have troubleshot it and I have the part on hand to fix it, now just need to install it.

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

Looking good, Twisted60! I like how you've kept the cab mostly stock despite adding accessories. Mine I may be getting is also likely going to be a daily driver, so a stereo for instance might be nice.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First load of firewood for the winter. I always find too much enjoyment driving through my brother-in-law's food plot...

The camera location doesn't do the grade of the trail any justice. It's steep and a natural spring keeps the bottom of it slick and muddy.

The really steep part didn't get recorded, hence my cameo in the beginning to make sure it was actually recording this time.

https://youtu.be/lKjGxRokhts

twisted60

During today's walk around I found a potential problem just waiting to spring on me. Had the belt been in a different position I never would have seen it, sorry took belt off before I took pictures.

IMG_1515.jpgIMG_1516.jpg

New belt installed and old belt in my just in case pile...

IMG_1514.jpg

Check those belts and hoses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks