• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance on an LVS MK-48?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmellon

Hey guys! My MK48 FPU was dropped off today... I am in process of examining the machine, doing some fixes, and topping off fluids. I hope to try to fire the engine before the end of the day.

How do you guys insure these things? They will let me register just about anything in Michigan, but I need insurance to do so. Most insurance carriers are literally laughing at me... The other won't write policies for anything that hauls stuff.

Any ideas?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Have you tried JC Taylor.....the do MV's but they put a lot of restrictions on what you can do with it. You also have to have indoor storage.
I pay about 100 bucks a year for full coverage on my deuce through them.
My big trucks are insured through Progressive but they ain't cheap.

bigmellon

INdoor is going to be tough on this one... I have too many other things occupying the space I have and this thing is quite large.

I am running into problems where they don't want me to haul anything with a LOGISTICS VEHICLE, not even my own equipment or personal belongings. Striking out with Progressive too...

Stalwart

Yup, $420/year with an agreed $75,000 value. It has an appraisal that they have a copy of for quite a bit more, due to the condition of the old beast. They insure my Scorpion tank too.

Scooter, I have a HEMTT, NOT a former USMC LVS. The HEMTT is a straight truck, not articulated like the Mk48 LVS.

bigmellon

Have you tried JC Taylor.....the do MV's but they put a lot of restrictions on what you can do with it. You also have to have indoor storage.
I pay about 100 bucks a year for full coverage on my deuce through them.
My big trucks are insured through Progressive but they ain't cheap.
I'm looking at the JC Taylor website.. They have "Antique" and "Modified" classes for insurance... How exactly would you classify a 1997 Oshkosh MK-48??

bigmellon

Hmm... They don't seem to like vehicles under 19 years of age as collector vehicles.

They do say if you have others that they would be interested in adding it to a larger policy. Looks like I might be getting new quotes on my Unimogs!! :)

jpinst

i don't understand why this conversation gets recycled so many times. USAA will insure close to anything. I have 4 policies with them and when they ask me what it is I just give theme the nomenclature and a policy shows up. Really, if you have served or a family ember has served, just get USAA for MILVECH's. Mine get driven less than 100 miles per year but they don't seem to care.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have USAA on my Jeep.... that doesn't have plates or legally road worthy (next duty station), but I have collision, a low deductable and all that other good stuff.

I tried Taylor initially, but since I didn't have a garage they told me no. I have no idea how USAA will react in an actual fender bender with the Jeep, and hope to never find out!

lost in the bush

Also Hagerty Insurance.. they are the leading insurer of Custom and unusual vehicles in the United States..

I contacted them already and they will insure MK48, as I am looking at an upcoming auction in Fl.
rofl:jumpin:
I must have one.

998Junkie

i don't understand why this conversation gets recycled so many times. USAA will insure close to anything. I have 4 policies with them and when they ask me what it is I just give theme the nomenclature and a policy shows up. Really, if you have served or a family ember has served, just get USAA for MILVECH's. Mine get driven less than 100 miles per year but they don't seem to care.

I have USAA and my M-818 was covered through an affiliate (Progressive) as they would not take it directly and it was 2K a year. Couldn't justify the expense.

bigmellon

Also Hagerty Insurance.. they are the leading insurer of Custom and unusual vehicles in the United States..
Actually - NO. Haggerty will specifically not insure these things. Collector car insurance requires the vehicle to be 19 years of age or greater. Unless you can document that your truck was built prior to '93, you will have to obtain COMMERCIAL insurance on this beast. Just been around the block on this myself... Bend over until it is 19 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks