• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering column shaft spline count/shape?

DMgunn

Helllo, guys.
Curious if anyone here knows what the spline count and diameter is on the M139 steering column? Also, is it round or a D-shaft? I've just bought an M139, and the steering wheel is cracked, thin, and generally ugly. I'm hoping to replace it with something a little more comfortable and slightly smaller from a "modern" truck. I've searched the forums and found nothing. Any tips? Thank you in advance.

devilman96

I've never worked on a M139 but I've got more steering column experience on Deuces than I ever wanted!!!

I remember a thread about this and someone swapping wheels between the two so I will assume a M35 and M139 have the same, or very similar wheels on them... Of course I could be very wrong about this and I am sure someone will correct me if so.

I swapped my column out of my M35 due partially to the wheel and wanted to change it. The spine pattern and size do not have a commercially available wheel replacement to them so I went with a tilt wheel Chevy column which allowed for a more "normal" spine pattern to it. I had considered building a adapter to use whatever wheel on the stock column but knowing what it takes to machine a splined adapter and having the equipment to do it... common since told me to go another route as it is a pain in the arse.

I don't know if that helps or not but I can relate to the experience.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DMgunn said:
....Curious if anyone here knows what the spline count and diameter is on the M139 steering column? Also, is it round or a D-shaft?....
I suppose steering wheels on all older 5tons and deuces are interchangeable, so splines must be the same. I only have one 5ton column (??model) to compare with.

O.D. is 24.3 mm, cylindrical, 36 splines, 1/2" long.

If I had to adapt a "modern truck" wheel I would just cut, insert and MIG-weld the end of the corresponding shaft.

Gerhard

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks