• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering column shaft spline count/shape?

DMgunn

Helllo, guys.
Curious if anyone here knows what the spline count and diameter is on the M139 steering column? Also, is it round or a D-shaft? I've just bought an M139, and the steering wheel is cracked, thin, and generally ugly. I'm hoping to replace it with something a little more comfortable and slightly smaller from a "modern" truck. I've searched the forums and found nothing. Any tips? Thank you in advance.

devilman96

I've never worked on a M139 but I've got more steering column experience on Deuces than I ever wanted!!!

I remember a thread about this and someone swapping wheels between the two so I will assume a M35 and M139 have the same, or very similar wheels on them... Of course I could be very wrong about this and I am sure someone will correct me if so.

I swapped my column out of my M35 due partially to the wheel and wanted to change it. The spine pattern and size do not have a commercially available wheel replacement to them so I went with a tilt wheel Chevy column which allowed for a more "normal" spine pattern to it. I had considered building a adapter to use whatever wheel on the stock column but knowing what it takes to machine a splined adapter and having the equipment to do it... common since told me to go another route as it is a pain in the arse.

I don't know if that helps or not but I can relate to the experience.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DMgunn said:
....Curious if anyone here knows what the spline count and diameter is on the M139 steering column? Also, is it round or a D-shaft?....
I suppose steering wheels on all older 5tons and deuces are interchangeable, so splines must be the same. I only have one 5ton column (??model) to compare with.

O.D. is 24.3 mm, cylindrical, 36 splines, 1/2" long.

If I had to adapt a "modern truck" wheel I would just cut, insert and MIG-weld the end of the corresponding shaft.

Gerhard