• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heartbreaking DUKW pics

L1A1

Yeah that's something we as collectors all these years after the fact don't seem to take into account. When these trucks were surplused and that "conversion" work carried out, they were all over the place & no one really wanted them. Heck, even up into the 1960s or even 1970s no one really cared. I can remember complete (good resto candidates) DUKWs selling for only a couple of bucks back in the early 1990s before all of those duck tour businesses started up.....
Matt

JSF01

:( It's sad that at best the treatment those DUKW's will get is as parts trucks. They are cool trucks and I'd love to own one. My grandfather loves tellin the story about the army issuing him one to transport his men across Germany durring WW2

L1A1

:( It's sad that at best the treatment those DUKW's will get is as parts trucks. They are cool trucks and I'd love to own one. My grandfather loves tellin the story about the army issuing him one to transport his men across Germany durring WW2
I had read somewhere that the GIs (ones riding in the back)actually prefered the DUKW to the CCKW. Something about a smoother/softer ride?

Matt

L1A1

Too bad the hull isn't what's left... I always wondered what a M35A2 based DUKW would be like.
From what I'm to understand (think I read about it on here :wink:) Some of those duck tour companies are actually building their vehicles from scratch as the supply of parts and restorable hulls has dwindled so. The base vehicle being used is an M35A2.

In the 1950s the Army experimented with the "Super duck" which was based on the GMC M211/M135 frame & drive line. There was one that used to attend the Aberdeen show

Matt

Heavysteven

The end result was that some affected plumbers accidently connected the sewer pipes to the incoming water pipes.

That's funny.....I got called out to a jobsite 3 weeks becuase this literally happened.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I found another one.

I can't understand how a person can do this and live with themselves.

003 MT Duck.JPG022 MT InsideDuck.JPG023 MT InsideDuck.JPG024 MT InsideDuck.JPG

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So Clinto when do you bring her home?

Denny
Apparently not for sale, plus it would have to be really cheap for me to take that on. He really cut it up.

Anything can be put back together but you're talking about hundreds of hours of metalwork just to get to a starting point of a restoration.

saddamsnightmare

July 3rd, 2015.

Australian Bush Engineering at its best! BUT, remember after WWII these trucks sold for quite a bit less then scrap, so to convert a DUKW into almost anything else, was not unheard of, either there or here!:-?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks