• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Relay help

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The relay under the exhaust manifold, bolted to the engine?

TURKEY131

Yes that's the one. I thought my starter went and pulled it. The starter appears to be ok. The solenoid could also be the problem. But I figured my check this first before taking the solenoid to a shop.

Heath_h49008

Use a jumper cable from one terminal to the next to bypass it and rule out the starter. (This will crank the engine, take precautions)

Good rule of thumb for vehicular starter solenoids... if it clicks it's good. If it clicks a lot (oscillation) you have a power supply problem.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can eliminate that relay, to test if that is your problem. To do this, you can remove wire# 74 and connect it to wire #214.

That relay does fail occasionally. There are several ways/things to test.

Do you have a digital multi-meter?

72m35a2

You can eliminate that relay, to test if that is your problem. To do this, you can remove wire# 74 and connect it to wire #214.

yes i have a multi meter i will check it out asap. as i said i already jumped the starter to get it going and ohm'd the push button. just dont seem to be getting juice to the solenoid

i will check all thing mentioned and report back. i didnt know if there was a fuse or something inline from the button down hidden somewhere. im sure its something simple you guys will help me figure out thats why i came here.

thanks all

jbayer

I had a similar problem, OHM'd the pushbutton, it checked good. Spent another fours troubleshooting, and came back to the push button. It OHM checked good again with a different VOM when the button was pushed, so I took the two wires off, touched them together, started right up. Put the wires back on the button switch, and nothing. New starter button, and now it works again.
I don't know why it OHM'd good, but wouldn't work.

Last edited:

72m35a2

i posted that i checked voltage at push button and it was 13v dc. dont know what happend to the post
idea's
thanks

72m35a2

sorry it appears i posted to one of links someone put up to help me on my other thread.. please forgive me
still need some help under the thread "starter woes"
thanks guys

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old thread bump because I'm pretty sure I have a starter relay problem too.

Hey Mr. Doghead,

Comparing the M35A2 wiring schematic and the following figure (from TM 9-2320-361-20 Technical Manual and Unit Maintenance, section 4-6, PDF page 423) it appears that wire #74R is the same as #3 and that wire #214 is the same as #18: Do you agree?
TM 9-2320-361-20_maintenance_section 4-6.jpg

I put a digital multimeter on #3 (negative lead) and #18 (positive lead) and only got trace amounts of wildly fluctuating millivolts of difference between the two points (I believe the test was performed while the Accessory Switch was ON). When the momentary Start Switch (that I sometimes call the Start Button) was pushed, the multimeter read a full and steady ~25+v difference between the two points but I could hear no clicking from the relay and the truck did not start.

With the multimeter I ran an audio continuity test on the in-cab momentary Start Switch and the the switch appeared to be working, exactly as I expected. (There was continuity between the pins when pushed, no continuity when not pressed.) I tried a solid wire connecting the pins in the plug running up to the start button and it had no affect (did not start the truck). I think that discounts the switch as a problem.

I attached a wire with alligator clips from #3 (wire #74R) to #18 (wire #214). When I pressed the Start button the truck started exactly like normal. To me that sounds like the Magnetic Starter Relay is bad. Do you agree with my assessment?

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with your assessment.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased an NOS Starter Relay from eBay, and I'm happy to report that it fixed my issue. [thumbzup]

Prestolite
WSE-4101A

24V DC
50 Amps
Ord. No: 19207-6183391
NSN: 5945-00-636-8779
MFR: 7E656

It came with a paper that had the date "9/92" and a mylar bag with the date 8/90, so I presume it is from 1990 or 1992, but in fantastic shape. Judging by the condition of the relay I removed from my truck, I'm willing to bet it was original to the engine (1972). Being so near the engine and exhaust pipe didn't do it any favors with the numerous hot/cold cycles.

2018-02-08 16.31.41.jpg 2018-02-08 16.30.55.jpg 2018-02-08 16.32.00.jpg 2018-02-08 17.29.09.jpg 2018-02-08 17.29.40.jpg

I had to replace the ring terminal end on #3 (wire #74) as its wires were exposed with a number broken. I decided to add on about 3" of additional wire.

2018-02-08 16.35.21.jpg 2018-02-08 17.03.29.jpg 2018-02-08 17.21.12.jpg

The end of #9 (wire #14) was in similar shape (where it attached to the starter solenoid), though I felt it was still pretty sturdy. so I added some heat shrink to the end. I also used a wire wheel on a drill to clean up all of the wire's connections.

2018-02-09 15.02.51 HDR.jpg 2018-02-09 15.33.36.jpg

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to dissect the old relay?

It might be fun to see the inside.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hadn't intended to, no. But I suppose there's some interest here that I should see how well it comes apart.
IIRC, it's not too tough to take the bottom end off. 4 screws/nuts, and it's sealed with a cork-type gasket that you might have to break loose. Once you get inside, you might just find the angled contacts are dirty. With a good cleaning, you may have a functional back-up relay. If you remove the posts, just be careful not to crack the phoenelic insulators (they look like little formica rectangles) be gentle with the post grommets and mindful of the order the post components were assembled. When you reassemble, you can seal it back up with a bit of RTV on the remaining cork mating surfaces.

Last edited:

DieselBob

I just have to do a postmortem on anything that fails like that. Inquiring minds want to know.

I just had to dissect my fuel pump and that's when I discovered it is actually a magnetic coupling between the motor and the pump section. Wouldn’t have guessed that one. Magnet came unglued from it's mount so even though the motor was spinning there was no drive to the pump section though the magnetic coupling.
100_0213.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prestolite
WSE-4101A

24V DC
50 Amps

Wow, that is one pricey little sucker! It is only a 50A relay. Perhaps it would be a good idea to identify current alternatives for this part. Something like this could be made to fit: At $45 a bit less expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/STARTER-SOLENOID-CRAWLER-DIESEL-3T-3421/dp/B013TCQAAO/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1518542500&sr=1-7&keywords=24V+starter+solenoid&dpID=41wGoOlhHiL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, it's not too tough to take the bottom end off. 4 screws/nuts, and it's sealed with a cork-type gasket that you might have to break loose. Once you get inside, you might just find the angled contacts are dirty. With a good cleaning, you may have a functional back-up relay. If you remove the posts, just be careful not to crack the phoenelic insulators (they look like little formica rectangles) be gentle with the post grommets and mindful of the order the post components were assembled. When you reassemble, you can seal it back up with a bit of RTV on the remaining cork mating surfaces.
Thank you! That'll certainly help, and I wouldn't be against having a workable backup either.

Prestolite
WSE-4101A

24V DC
50 Amps

Wow, that is one pricey little sucker! It is only a 50A relay. Perhaps it would be a good idea to identify current alternatives for this part. Something like this could be made to fit: At $45 a bit less expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/STARTER-SOLENOID-CRAWLER-DIESEL-3T-3421/dp/B013TCQAAO/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1518542500&sr=1-7&keywords=24V+starter+solenoid&dpID=41wGoOlhHiL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Yeah, it is well over-priced for what it is, but I really just wanted an exact replacement. I considered buying another 100A continuous relay from Extreme Outback products like I had done for my Supplemental Electrical Air Compressors. If I need to, perhaps I'll go that route in the future and locate the relay further from the exhaust.

Sealed, 100 Amp Continuous Relay Part# 002-240, $36.95 + shipping
2A activation/control draw
NOTE: The below link is the 12v version:
https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/97/100+Amp+Relay+Part#+002-103.html
100_amp_relay_97.jpg

Here is a very cheap ($16), non-sealed 24V continuous 85A relay (but I wouldn't hold my breath how long this one would last):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V3FGOC/

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks