• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a 2200 mile recovery ! What would you take ?

Artisan

I'll Counter your counter with this;

You better have a big set of ballz and 1/2 brain to attempt any long drive recovery
of a fresh surplus truck of any flavor.

Myself? I walked into the challenge HEAD On and thank GOD
I won, PNW to Los Angeles in a M925A1.

I think it was about 1700 miles or so.

After that, PRAY you have internet access and know how to
ask for help here.

98G has you covered the WHOLE way .

( Lyublyu tebya brat )

:)

coachgeo

No need to reinvent the wheel:p. Started thread with similar question in mind for my first trip. Granted also steered the thread to be a bit general as well so its info would help anyone out whose embarking on an FMTV journey. Did this about a month or so ago. I bumped it up for you. Also here is the link:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ls-to-have-for-an-FMTV-Add-your-02&highlight=

Yall feel free to continue adding your .02 into above thread. As before I'll keep updating it.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a list of tools you have actually used in a recovery?

Or a list of things that have left you stranded.

I'll start -

I have used -

Jacks X2 + cribbing
Impact wrenches
1.5" sockets
3/4" sockets
1/2" and 9/16" wrenches
Oil
Water
Glad hand air hose with air chuck
Chain
Fuel can
Fuel line
BFH
Batteries
Slave cables
Battery charger
Crowbar
Wd40
Another 5ton truck (I buy them 2 a a time and carry a spare truck :) )

I've been stopped by having more blowouts than I had spares.

I've been stopped by either a freeze plug or a cylinder liner letting go and dumping the coolant into the crankcase.

coachgeo

How about a list of tools you have actually used in a recovery?

Or a list of things that have left you stranded.

I'll start - .....
Few of these in your list are not in the list linked in post above yours. do you mind if I add them to that list?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Few of these in your list are not in the list linked in post above yours. do you mind if I add them to that list?
Add them anywhere you like.

My point is that the list of tools carried but not used is longer than the list of tools used.... and my above sample covers about 40,000 miles, and consists mostly of trucks that were advertised as non-runners. In fact, the only catastrophic fail was a truck listed as "the truck started and ran. The driveline is operational."

coachgeo

...My point is that the list of tools carried but not used is longer than the list of tools used.... ...
Glad you clarified that cause had misunderstood. Your points well taken. KISS principle. Thank you.

Dont let yourself be bullied into what thread to post in. SMH. I like this one a lot better than the one suggested by someone's post with link
lol... bully... so funny. That's like the pot calling a kettle black.

Anyway, sounds like he's getting one of your rigs. Smart of him to do so. Bet your's are the cleanest, most ready to jump in and drive than anyone's being sold. And am not being facetious. Have recommended you as a seller of solid rigs several times actually. I just tell them to NOT let you know I suggested you or you might double the price out of spite. LOL

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Friends, MVers, countrymen; it's a fine day to be an American.

Sending from iPhone so I only skimmed this thread. A history of the truck could show a lot. If the truck spent its life in a mates or ecs site, then low mileage could be true. Even if it did the odometer could have been switched. Then again maybe not. Keep in mind we had thirty year old deuces with less than 20k miles but may have been reebuilt with new odometers also and now that more stuff is in ecs and mates due to deployments, theoretically possible. Once I get some time I will review the thread for better SA. Suggest doing vin info on it and that may help. Also, a vehicle sitting long periods is probably more likely to breakdown first trip than one that has been driven somewhat frequently.

1951M1078

All good points and the help is much appreciated. I know you are all trying to lookout for me.

What are you guys doing about hydration in the cab. With no A/C I was thinking this is going to be a issue ?
Is the air flow ok in the cab ?

Another issue will be the noise. I'm think head phones,noise canceling ? What about ear plugs ? Its going to be hot and maybe it would be better.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All good points and the help is much appreciated. I know you are all trying to lookout for me.

What are you guys doing about hydration in the cab. With no A/C I was thinking this is going to be a issue ?
Is the air flow ok in the cab ?

Another issue will be the noise. I'm think head phones,noise canceling ? What about ear plugs ? Its going to be hot and maybe it would be better.
Lots of room for a small cooler in the cab but make sure you remove it before tilting the cab. I doubt you want to replace a windshield any time soon.

Of course I didn't have as far of a recovery as you but it was about 85 out when I picked mine up. With both windows down you get decent air flow and it was fairly comfortable. Noise isn't really that much of an issue except when the fan kicks on. I'd say some earbuds with music would be sufficient and much cooler than full headphones. I wasn't wearing anything and could talk to my co-driver (loudly but better than in a deuce).

1951M1078

I will bring this to a close. Wife said no road trip. Said I'm to old.

I want to thank all that gave me the input and ideas.

I will keep looking for transport but don't want to keep someone from a sale.

My wife and I agreed on a budget for shipping of $1500. But that fell through and the bids I have are $3200 +.

So back to the side lines for me.
Thanks again. Randy

coachgeo

I will bring this to a close. Wife said no road trip....
So sorry to hear. Keep your head up. One will come your way. Hopefully LMTV722 can come up with some ideas for delivery. Get feeling his rigs are the better of those out there. Unfortunate ya'll two are so far away from one another.

did you try Yesterday's Tractors shipping forum? http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl Shippers tend to watch that forum for jobs. An FMTV on a Low boy could haul a bunch of smaller items underneath the truck for the shipper to make additional funds off of. That's how they and UShip drivers make their income. Have used both. Found Yesterday's Tractor less costly and about as good.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I will list load and we will see. But you know as soon as I find a haler,it will be sold.
Thanks again.
Other options is see if you can find someone to drive it for you (no I'm not volunteering). A recently separated military person with experience on these trucks would be your best bet.

coachgeo

Other options is see if you can find someone to drive it for you (no I'm not volunteering). A recently separated military person with experience on these trucks would be your best bet.
ohhhhh. that's an idea. Fly you AND the Co-driver to FL. Maybe wifey will go for having a co driver?

PS- got a lead for you already from my other source. Won't be able to follow thru with that further till later tonight. I'll keep you posted.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going out on a limb and guessing you're not going to be packing your Glock or a lot of tools on the airplane, so… if you can pick up a towbar, a 2 inch receiver pintle hitch, and a gas powered air compressor with a length of hose and a glad hand, you can get just about any kid with a four-wheel-drive pick up to gladly (prove how awesome his truck is) tow you off the road to the nearest safe location while you steer and brake. Then to get help from a fellow steel soldiers member.

As for determining the mileage on your truck, one thing I did was divide the mileage by the odometer reading, this gave me a mph average of 32, which leads me to believe the gauges are likely a matched set. Then I also checked the date code on the tires. My truck is a 1991 and the tires were manufactured in 1990 and appear to have the correct amount of tread ware on them, for them to be original to the truck. This might not work in your case but a couple of ideas l looked at.

M925A2 with dump hoist

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks