• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a 2200 mile recovery ! What would you take ?

1951M1078

Have found a 1078 with low miles and I can pull all the PM's and TM's before starting.

Other than a high limit credit card (LOL) what should go on the trip ? I have towing from my RV if needed. All of this will need to be shipped the 2200 miles from home base.

So, give me a hand with the list.
Randy

coachgeo

Have found a 1078 with low miles and I can pull all the PM's and TM's before starting.

Other than a high limit credit card (LOL) what should go on the trip ? I have towing from my RV if needed. All of this will need to be shipped the 2200 miles from home base.

So, give me a hand with the list.
Randy
Tripple A; even with RV service, WILL NOT PAY FOR TOW!!!! been there done that. If it is not registered as an RV they won't pay the bill. If anyone has had them tow theirs when it was not registered as RV please let me know ASAP so can redress their refusal to pay.

1951M1078

I will call Blue Sky and check to make sure. They said the tow covered all my cars and trucks ? We will see. But thanks for the heads up !

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A jump box has proven crucial on most of my trips. It can also double as a charging spot for cell phones and to run the GPS etc.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post your route and try and locate SS members along the way that might be able to give you a hand. Quite a few of us in TX with towing capabilities if you break down around here.

m109a2

Wow that`s a long haul in this heat.I drove my m35a2w/w and m35 frame matted with a 105 and 109 box a very cool rv.Anywho I drove it over 1,200 miles home took me 5 days.To say that that I took my own sweet time is a vast understatement.I had to,Worst ice storm just hit N.C. in many years lucky me being in a unfamiliar truck and towing a trailer I felt the need to do the big city's in the middle of the night.Worked out great.I was very fortunate to purchase my rig from a S.S.member all the fluids up to snuff and so on.Now back to you (1) chase vehicle (2) gps (3) IF thermometer will find a problem before it get`s very bad (4) spare filters and fluids (5) amber strobe light for rear of truck chances are that you will the slowest moving thing around (6) fuel cans I love my deuce but the gauge will lie (7) a butt pillow (8) plan you route well check member map along route we help our own(9) couple of spares you are not going around the corner(10) water and mre`s(hand tools (12) mindset very important like I said this trip will hard on you and yours give me a call (337)-477-1067.Al

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If there was any military truck to do it in the LMTV would be it. 57mph is top speed though. Very comfortable ride in my opinion. Gotta do the driveline hinging procedure in the TM to check for play before a long trip like that. Check the fan clutch for play. Start with 4 good batts, good tires and fresh fluids. Nice bright LED tail lights are a good safety upgrade since you will be going slower than most highway traffic. Better headlights if you plan on driving at night. Spare relays and breakers, duct tape, electrical tape, spare fluids. Good assortment of tools.

m109a2

I almost forgot my experience in North Carolina A young black kid attempted to hijack my rig I lucky had my Judge on my hip and again in Atlanta another knife to a gun fight thank God Not a shot fired.What is wrong with people I am not knocking these two states I am a southern man myself but If I was to steal a vehicle it would not a very loud and large truck with convoy lights.Check out the state laws on open carry before you leave.Al

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Just get the good led tail lights they are plenty bright. There is a 12v connector on the top back of the cab for a warning light and a switch on the dash that controls it.

1951M1078

As for the route ,will be using I-10 most of the way. If I pull this off was thinking about getting a set of MRAP alum.wheels and maybe tires ? But maybe out of money for now ?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for the route ,will be using I-10 most of the way. If I pull this off was thinking about getting a set of MRAP alum.wheels and maybe tires ? But maybe out of money for now ?
Well I'm right along your route and I have some nice, new tires if you need a set (although they're on standard LMTV rims). If you break down between Houston and El Paso let me know.

m109a2

Well I to live right on I 10 in Lake Charles La. I went solo on my little journey.I sleep for 2 days after getting home.If you get in a bind,or need a place to lay your head or the wife can cook a good Cajun meal.Al

1951M1078

Got a lock box for the ones that don't. But I have a concealed carry permit also.
Looks like I'm good to go in all !

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks