• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

“84 M1009 electrical/ignition problems

AndrewApex135

Hey everyone,

A few months ago my truck died on start up with a turn of the key (electrical click) that left me without any electrical at all. It would flash a few dash lights when moving the key between position one and two but it didn’t do anything. I poked around and found that swaping the glow plug solenoid fixed it. Then I realized that my glow plugs were shot because they were getting 24 volts. Realized the glow plug resistor failed. So I replaced the glow plugs and bypassed the resistor to give the solenoid 12v and a manual glow plug button in the dash because I think the glow plug card was done as well. The truck ran like a champ for months and months. I realized that slowly over this time I would need to glow the plugs a little more every week or so to get them heated up to where they needed to be. Then one day it died in the water just like it did the first time months prior. Thinking that I fried the glow plug solenoid a few time with 24v before I bypassed the resistor I changed out the glow plug solenoid again. No change.

So here is where I am now. Poking around with a multimeter I now find that the glow plug solenoid gets its 12v with the ignition off, but as soon as I turn the ignition on it drops all the way off. I have dug through the forms on the topic and have tested a few things but to no success. Any help would be great.

87cr250r

Sounds like your batteries are dead.

How did bypassing the glow plug resistor solve your problem? Did you install 24v glow plugs.l?

AndrewApex135

Sounds like your batteries are dead.

How did bypassing the glow plug resistor solve your problem? Did you install 24v glow plugs.l?
Thanks for the reply. The resistor that was supposed to bring 24v down to 12v failed. So my gp solenoid, card and plugs were getting 24v. I bypassed the resistor by literally “cutting it off” and leading in 12v from the first battery to the gp solenoid.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Resistors NEVER fail in a mode that causes full voltage to pass through. If you are getting full voltage through that means all of your glow plugs are dead.
Wouldn't that mean he'd have no power right...probably burned up the wire going to the rear battery for the 12 volt conversion. Fusible link?? Ignition switch burned up or out of adjustment?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks