• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

002 or 003 if you could just have one

Smokinyoda

Would a 002 at 75% load use more or less fuel than a 003 at 25% load?

I am leaning toward the 003 as it seems slightly quieter with less vibration. However my main concern is fuel usage. I know a 003 uses 1 gallon/hour and a 002 uses 1/2 gallon/hour under full load, just not sure about partial load. I will only be using it for backup purposes to keep refrigerator and well pump going. And occasionally microwave and hot water heater, but not all at once of course. The 002 handles that nicely at about 75% load.

Without actually testing both units for several hours under similar loads, anyone care to make an educated guess as which would be more efficient? Or would if be close to a tie?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would a 002 at 75% load use more or less fuel than a 003 at 25% load?

I am leaning toward the 003 as it seems slightly quieter with less vibration. However my main concern is fuel usage. I know a 003 uses 1 gallon/hour and a 002 uses 1/2 gallon/hour under full load, just not sure about partial load. I will only be using it for backup purposes to keep refrigerator and well pump going. And occasionally microwave and hot water heater, but not all at once of course. The 002 handles that nicely at about 75% load.

Without actually testing both units for several hours under similar loads, anyone care to make an educated guess as which would be more efficient? Or would if be close to a tie?
You want to match a diesel generator to the load to prevent wet stacking , it sounds like the 002 would be a better choice.

Chainbreaker

I was on the fence in the beginning choosing between the -003a and -002a. Eventually, after factoring in all my loads I came to the conclusion that a -002a would work just fine with a little load management. So I went with the -002a for the same reason you were concerned about "fuel usage".

When we had a storm and were without utility power for a week it really hit home about having enough fuel to run without fear of running out. Also, the cost factor of fuel adds up when running on an extended basis. I remember some member here saying he burned through something like $600+ worth of fuel during an extended power outage. Storing more fuel for a larger generator is fine if you have bulk storage and can routinely rotate through fuel using other diesel consuming equipment. In my wet winter climate with our bio-diesel (bio-diesel is hydroscopic) it's difficult to maintain diesel for very long without using quality fuel additives for treatment. Another advantage of the -002a for me is that my compact tractor can lift the -002a using the lifting eye or lifting with pallet forks. Another advantage is that the -002a is slightly easier/cheaper to maintain...only 2 glow plugs and 2 injectors and with less valves to maintain.

On the other hand, the -003a has its advantages with respect to smoother running with less vibration as you noted and the inherent ability to carry more load with reserve power.

Most parts between the two are interchangeable so no advantage one over the other as far as parts availability that I have experienced.

The biggest concern I have is in the event of an extended power outage due to some significant power disruption event taking out power on a widespread basis...whether its a power disruption due to some type of natural event...storm, earthquake or massive fire as well as the possibility of cyber-terrorism/cyber-warfare affecting the grid. So you have to have enough fuel on hand, or easy and reliable access to replenish as needed, to make it through a long duration power disruption event. So for me, fuel burn rate vs onsite storage capability is a significant driving factor as well as being able to afford the cost associated with having some generator redundancy (3 generators) since I have to power up two gensets at two different utility service points on my property.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chainbreaker wrote it up nicely... NVH or not, consider your realistic use, and long term needs.... might save your keyster when it really counts.

Bill W

A 002a burns about .5gal/hr at full load, a 003A burns just over a .5gal/hr at "Half load" so your arguing ounce's when choosing between them based on fuel consumption. I would choose to have the extra amps available with the 003A.

justacitizen

i think you will be pleasantly surprised how well you will get along with an 002A. i can run my whole homestead with one 002a as long as i add the loads and get them cycling and not dump the whole thing at once. i run a well pump for 100 cows my home electric clothes dryer and shop. i very seldom hit 75% load because of the cycling. a little power management and you will save money on fuel and equipment. another factor is if you outgrow the 002a you can get your money back easy.

Triple Jim

If your load takes the 002A to 3/4 of its capacity, it would take an 003A to 3/8 of its capacity. Not that this makes much difference to your question though. The 002A would use less fuel, from all reports I've read over the years. A lot of the fuel usage just comes from turning all the internal parts of the engine, and the 003A has a lot more of those.

Carl_in_NH

Triple Jim hit the nail squarely - the non-linearity in the fuel consumption between the 002 and 003 serving the same load is from the frictional losses of all those extra engine parts, as well as the large rotational load you need to keep spinning at speed - namely, the rotating parts of the generator end.

That said, I could live with a 002, but bought a 003. It's just a lot nicer to not have to worry about load shedding when the well pump kicks on when both AC compressors are running. Keep extra fuel around, and also a smaller gas generator if run time is critical, or fuel is limited. Having something in gas as well as diesel is nice when you can't be certain what your supply of either fuel might look in an emergency.

justacitizen

i have an 003A that runs my mothers place. the reason she needs the bigger is her home has more electric appliances than mine and i wanted her to have uninterrupted air conditioning. other than that an 002A would fit that application also. i can tell you from experience that the 003A uses a lot more fuel at light load than the 002A does, almost twice as much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks