• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

002 starting trouble

hello and how is everone doing. I have an 002 that I have been working on in my spare time. The engine was a train wreck when I got it, it ran but horribly. I managed to pick up a spare engine that came out of Kuwaitt, has new paint on it but not sure if it was rebuilt.
So here's my issue. Did the engine swap, put new a new oil filter on it and filled it up with oil. I was able to start the engine without to much difficulty and it makes close to 50 psi of oil pressure. Turned the rpm up untill I was getting 120v on the lugs. almost 60hz even too. I shut the machine off and tried to restart it with the throttle set for the correct operating rpm and it will not start. No smoke, no cough no nothing. cranked it making sure it was making enough oil pressure where it should have started but wouldn't.
I then pushed the throttle in and it started right up.Brought it back up to speed and ran fine. So I shut it off and repeated. Same thing.
Anybody know what this problem is? Help would be appreciated, thanks metalworker393

Grega

Sounds like something may be jamed up linkage wise. First check by the fuel shutoff solenoid. Maybe obverve the linkage while someone pushes the throttle in.

storeman

Agree on fuel supply, question is what is causing it. When you turn the start switch, if there is no click from K3 in the control box, check its wiring connections.

If K3 clicks but no solenoid retraction, check wiring at solenoid. If solenoid is retracting in the start position, but linkage is not raising the linkage at the IP to full fuel, you either have linkage binding or stiff IP throttle mechanism.

On the 002a you can force and hold the throttle up at the IP with one hand (over-riding the solenoid) and still reach the switch with the other hand. Unless short arms, it doesn't take 2 people.

If linkage is binding, Kentucky windage. If IP throttle linkage is binding/stiff, more complicated. If a problem with either K3 or fuel shut-off solenoid, I can help with parts if you e-mail me......a lot of "ifs". Good luck.

Jerry :beer::beer:

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I highly doubt that it's the linkage or the stop solenoid. Why would either of these allow it to start with the throttle pushed in, but not with it out where it belongs???? The problem the OP is talking about doesn't seem to have anything to do with any part of the control system...again, the control system doesn't care where the throttle is set. And if the linkage was binding, it wouldn't start no matter where the throttle was set.

I would look at the IP. It should regulate the fuel flow for starting until the engine starts and then control the speed by way of the governor. Sounds like something inside the IP is stuck, and you need to throttle back the initial fuel flow to get it to start. Too much diesel fuel at start-up would be like flooding a gas engine. But push the throttle in, and the fuel delivery rate is cut way back, and it can start. Check the IP, remove and rebuild if need be.

Hey guys whats up. I had some time yesterday after work to fool around with the 002. Pushed up on the throttle linkage and it was sticking a little. It didn't require hardly anything to push it up sot I decided to try to start it.
Started at low RPMS, started and brought it up to speed. Shut it down and cranked it again with the throttle set for operating rpm. wouldnt start so I reached around and pushed the linkage up and it fired right up.
added some Marvel oil to the fuel perhaps i can get away without having to take the pump apart. metalworker393

Grega

I looked over the linkage tonight on my 002, and with the electric plunger retracked, there is quite a bit of spring pressure on the govener assembly that should lift the IP lever up when the throttle is at its set "60" hz. Does the linkage move freely up and down by hand at 60 hz.

cucv1833

Hey guys whats up. I had some time yesterday after work to fool around with the 002. Pushed up on the throttle linkage and it was sticking a little. It didn't require hardly anything to push it up sot I decided to try to start it.
Started at low RPMS, started and brought it up to speed. Shut it down and cranked it again with the throttle set for operating rpm. wouldnt start so I reached around and pushed the linkage up and it fired right up.
added some Marvel oil to the fuel perhaps i can get away without having to take the pump apart. metalworker393
That is excactly what my new Mep002 was doing also when i first got it
A sticky I.P. arm. With the engine off I manually lifted the fuel shut off plunger and worked the IP arm up and down for over 20min till it freed up. It took some playing around but I got it.

I had also put some marvel oil in the tank and ran it for a few hrs under a small load and its works great. Now starts while the throttle is still set at 60hrtz.

Im going to pick up some diesel fuel conditioner this weekend and add that to the fuel as well. Just wondering if it wouldn't hurt to take the supply line off and fill the IP with a good penetrating oil and work the linkage for a bit. Then i could drain it out before starting it again.
Thanks for your input guys, metalworker393

Sticky linkage

Okay I had time after work yesterday to take another look at the 002. Now, the linkage on the IP is moving real easy. So I started the unit up, low rpms up untill I was getting about 60Hz & 120v. I decided to throttle it down to see how it would respond. Wouldn't slow down. seemed to actually pick speed up. I pushed down on the IP linkage and it slowed but when I let off rpms came back up. I'm thinking maybe the pin in the ip broke off. (plunger sleeve pin) Any opinions? Thanks metalworker393

storeman

I suspect it has more to do with the linkage than an internal problem with the pump. I also have a unit that takes off on its own, but have not had the time to fool with it. Perhaps next week.

Jerry :beer::beer:

Okay I had time to tinker with the 002 again. I took the front cover off the engine to expose the governor assembly. I decided to move the spring up one notch at a time and now it does seem to hold rpms better. I then took a look at my throttle cable, seems to have a problem with not being adjustable anymore. Kinda feels like the internal cable is unwinding or partly broken.
Removed the throttle cable from a dead 003 I have and throttle was working well for a bit. Now the IP linkage is sticking again. Also S7 is out of adjustment. Cant flash the set without the starter engaging. Is it possible to remove the linkage from the IP without taking the IP off the engine? Looked at the drawing in the TM is there also an o ring kit available for the pump? Havn't machined the the fixtures yet to dissasemble the pump.
Thanks, metalworker393

helomedic1171

it is possible to remove the balljoint off the IP without removing the IP. ou have to in order to get to one of the 4 nuts holding the IP on. it is not possible to remove the control unit (the little arm on the side of the IP) while the IP is on the side of the engine. if that's what you're after, remove the IP and disassemble. the fixtures are nice, and make it easier, but if you are careful, they are not absolutely necessary. from recent experience, I learned a metric $%^&ton about the IP just by disassembling it. also, other guys have said that PB blaster helps out with stick linkages. mind was pretty gummed up, though, so it was good that I took mine apart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks