• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

002a excessive blow-by

Jimc

yes munch but i think he said he checked the breather and it wasnt clogged. all that psi has to go somewhere. dipstick in place and it should go out the breather and into the intake through the hose. dipstick out and it goes out the tube. try clamping off the rubber hose from the breather to the intake then put your rubber glove over the tube.

dangier

Jerry,
I made up new oil hoses first thing and pulled shroud to install. The hoses were checked before install and were free and clear. Oil cooler looked ok at that time. Have not pulled yet as the problem is not actual high oil pressure, it is the crankcase pressure. Don't believe high oil pressure will cause what I am seeing.
Thanks,
David

dangier

Ok-back from the beach. Tore into the 002 today and found a few things. Found most of the bolts for the vibration dampers in the channel on the frame. Whoever putting back together couldn't find them? Found all piston rings were free, but covered with some kind of goop. While looking at the rings, noticed cracks in piston sidewall around wrist pin location. #1 compression rings were not staggered like they should be. Ring ends were all within 1 inch of each other. Pictures below of pistons and crank bearings showing wear pattern. Crack on both pistons are by the top ring gap. I have not pulled ring off to see damage under ring groove. Figured I am at the point on not needing to go any further to see what is happening.
I think I am headed for this thing being a parts machine. Some of the new piston set pricing is in the $200-400 range....
David

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Made a call, a buddy has some MEP motors he is going to be parting out. Let me know what you might want. Not sure if there are 002 motors, I know there are 003s.

dangier

gimpyrobb-Thanks. As my pistons are standard, I would be looking for the same and would need two pistons with rings if available. My luck with removing and replacing rings isn't that great..
Thanks,
David

dangier

Storeman,
I an going to "beat the bushes" for a little bit to see what turns up. If nothing, I will look to parting out. Will contact Munchies if I have no luck.
Thanks,
David

dangier

Went back tonight and looked at the #1 piston ring area. The piston material between #1 and #2 ring groove is cracked in two places allowing a 2" piece to float and let bypass through. That would be where the major pressure leak is coming from.
David

johnray13

... I had done a compression test a while ago and got a reading of 380 and 385 IIRC...
Went back tonight and looked at the #1 piston ring area. The piston material between #1 and #2 ring groove is cracked in two places allowing a 2" piece to float and let bypass through. That would be where the major pressure leak is coming from.
David
I can't help but wonder how you got 380psi with the rings leaking that bad...

John

dangier

Guys,
The readings were taken with a Harbor Freight gauge. I did not have a trusted gauge to check it with, so I had to assume the reading was close. With the electrical issues in this unit I was in a hurry to get it going. I have already said in a previous posting that I had used starter fluid as it would not fire on its own. With a few puffs of starter fluid, it would take off and run. That's when I noticed the oil blowing out of the oil filler cap. Kind of wondering if I did the damage I found with the starter fluid as I had tried it a few times. Not smart I know.
David

1800 Diesel

Guys,
The readings were taken with a Harbor Freight gauge. I did not have a trusted gauge to check it with, so I had to assume the reading was close. With the electrical issues in this unit I was in a hurry to get it going. I have already said in a previous posting that I had used starter fluid as it would not fire on its own. With a few puffs of starter fluid, it would take off and run. That's when I noticed the oil blowing out of the oil filler cap. Kind of wondering if I did the damage I found with the starter fluid as I had tried it a few times. Not smart I know.
David
Never did like ether. Have seen it blow head gaskets and also bend con rods....always better to spray WD40 in first (for lube of cylinders and to help seal the rings) and then follow up with a gas-soaked rag. (but don't let the rag get drawn into the intake!) The mix of the two fuels seems to work well but the combustion isn't as severe as when using ether....if you have to use ether in cold weather, quick shots over a few minutes is all you should need.

Isaac-1

1800 Diesel, I let that happen once trying to get a 4 cylinder John Deere diesel engine on a Kohler 30KW generator started, I had soaked a red shop rag in gasoline and had it tucked under the edge of the air filter. The engine suddenly came to life, sucked the rag down the intake made one giant cough and shot the glowing remains of the cloth along with a lot of other gunk out the open exhaust header, the image I will never get out of my head is the glowing fabric weave pattern bits of ash raining down.

Ike

Last edited:

dangier

I did that with a red shop rag-layed it on the base of a running 200 hp compressor motor. Didn't notice that my rag had disappeared. Just saw red cloth fuzz raining down for 10 or 15 minutes. Took a minute to figure out what happened. Sure glad there was not any small tools in the cloth. Would have made an expensive mess...

dangier

Good news! Found two NOS pistons and got them at a great price. Just have to find the time to install. Tied up the last week offline troubleshooting the pc. Believe a windows update killed it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks