• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

002A (What Mine Will And Will Not Do)

cuad4u

I have been buying and refurbishing 002A and 003A generators for several years. Most of my "real world" testing has been done with 003A's, since I have two of them. I also have a 002A that I have never tested except on a resistive load bank. Several days ago I decided to see what my 002A would do in the "real world". I connected the 002A to my shop via a transfer switch.

The first test was to see if my 002A would start and run an 80 gallon Ingersol Rand 5HP single phase 2 stage (175PSI) air compressor. The data plate on the 5HP motor says full load amps is 28 at 240V. I did not expect the 002A to start or run the air compressor. I was right. It would not even budge it. Within a second of trying to start the air compressor, the main circuit breaker on the 002A opened. My 003A will start it and run it with only a grunt from the engine when the air compressor starts.

The next series of tests were to see just how much load my 002A would accept. In addition to the various loads mentioned below, there is a large side-by-side refrigerator / freezer (beer frig) and a large chest type freezer connected all the time. My shop has 9 each 150 watt incandescent lights in the ceiling. When I turned them on the 002A did not even seem to notice the load. Then I started two 36 inch 1HP single phase exhaust fans in the eaves of the shop. The 002A started and ran this additional load with ease. The % load gauge was showing around 25%. Then I started an 18 year old 12 SEER 2.5 ton split unit Heil AC / heat pump in the AC mode. Even with the refrigerator and chest freezer, 9 shop lights and the two exhaust fans running, my 002A started and ran the 2.5 ton split unit AC. The % load gauge was showing about 65%. The only other significant load available was my 3HP submersible well pump set at 210 feet in a 4 inch well. Even with the refrigerator, chest freezer, 9 shop lights, two exhaust fans, and the 2.5 ton AC unit running, the 002A started and ran the 3 HP well pump. The overhead lights dimmed and the engine grunted and lost a few RPM when the 3HP well pump started, but it returned to normal operation quickly. The % load gauge was right at 110%.

Finally I shut everything off except the refrigerator, chest freezer, and the 9 overhead lights. I turned my Lincoln 300A continuous duty welder on and tried to lay a bead. With a 3/16 rod and the welder set at 150 amps, the 002A provided all the power necessary to burn the welding rod to a nub. Of course I could not look at the % power gauge while welding, so I do not know what it was showing.

Frankly I was very impressed with what my 002A would do. Your results may vary.

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same results with the 5 horsepower IR compressor of my dad's... my MEP-002A didnt like it either... it just grunted and flipped the switch quick to shut it off. Worth a try! My compressor now is a 1.5 horse on an 80 gallon tank. It should run that fine. Yes, the compressor takes forever to recharge. :)

I could power my whole (previous) house with my MEP-002A. my house was 1200 sq/ft with no AC. I had every light on, electric stove on, electric dryer on and it took all of it. I could power everything I wanted if the power went out.... As long as I'm not baking a cake and cooking with the electric stove, doing laundry (dryer) and have all of the lights on at the same time,... it did fine. I just used what I needed to and it was great!

74M35A2

I had the same results with the 5 horsepower IR compressor of my dad's... my MEP-002A didnt like it either... it just grunted and flipped the switch quick to shut it off. Worth a try! My compressor now is a 1.5 horse on an 80 gallon tank. It should run that fine. Yes, the compressor takes forever to recharge. :)

I could power my whole (previous) house with my MEP-002A. my house was 1200 sq/ft with no AC. I had every light on, electric stove on, electric dryer on and it took all of it. I could power everything I wanted if the power went out.... As long as I'm not baking a cake and cooking with the electric stove, doing laundry (dryer) and have all of the lights on at the same time,... it did fine. I just used what I needed to and it was great!
You'd best load test verify it with a curling iron and hair dryer also...

kochevnik

I have an 802a and two hydrovane compressors - these dont have tanks and are 2 hp.

The 230v compressor starts and runs fine - the 120v compressor would stall out the generator but I found
a trick to get it to work and that is to open the airline when you are starting the compressor = less load
= less juice required from the gen. Once it is started then close the airline and use as normal.

Not sure how you would do this on a compressor with a tank ? Open the bleed valve maybe.

74M35A2

You're on the right track. Some have this feature built into them already. It is called an unloader, and it is a small pin located on the pressure switch with a hose running to the compressor outlet area. When the pressure switch cuts off, it depresses this pin which bleeds off the pressure in the tube between the compressor head and the tank. There is a check valve located at the tank fitting where this tube connects, so, when the compressor outlet tube is discharged of its pressure, the tank continues to hold its pressure, and this leaves the compressor and discharge tube under zero pressure for an easier start-up. You can usually tell this style as they will blow-down or hiss each time the pressure switch shuts off.

Triple Jim

As posted above, my 003A starts a 5hp 2-stage industrial compressor, but the shop lights dim a bit, and the generator engine slows momentarily. The compressor has an unloader. A Soft-Start or Variable Frequency Drive programmed to start the motor gently would probably help a lot. This would require a 3-phase motor, although you can get VFDs with 1-phase input and 3-phase output, so you can keep the generator in single phase mode if needed. I realize this is a lot of expense and trouble to go through unless you really need to run a 5 hp compressor from an 002A.

sewerzuk

As posted above, my 003A starts a 5hp 2-stage industrial compressor, but the shop lights dim a bit, and the generator engine slows momentarily. The compressor has an unloader. A Soft-Start or Variable Frequency Drive programmed to start the motor gently would probably help a lot. This would require a 3-phase motor, although you can get VFDs with 1-phase input and 3-phase output, so you can keep the generator in single phase mode if needed. I realize this is a lot of expense and trouble to go through unless you really need to run a 5 hp compressor from an 002A.
I couldn't get my -002a to start my 7.5HP compressor (it does have an unloader). I attempted it with 2 different motors. Both were capacitor start-capacitor run 1800 RPM single phase motors. I used that compressor as an example in my "paralleling two -002a generators" video. I have had a number of shop compressors that I have attempted to run with the -002a; I've found that generally, it will not start/run a "true" 5HP motor, but it will run a cheap "peak" 5 HP motor. Attempting to start the hydraulic power packs in my ironworker and tubing bender also result in a breaker trip.
I am in the process of adding a VFD and a 3 phase motor to that same air compressor...where "in the process"="have a pile of parts in a box on my shelf." I am interested to see if an -002a could start it with a soft start programmed into the VFD...

https://youtu.be/pdKAM2Xrtjc

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks