• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

002a, wont start when hot

tcastcas

starts when hot

ok, rebuilt ip now will start when hot every time! problem now the rpm varies between 50-65 hz with no load. no indication its loading down. i can hold gov linkage with finger and it will run steady for a brief time. tomorrow will try to adjust gov and linkage.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok, rebuilt ip now will start when hot every time! problem now the rpm varies between 50-65 hz with no load. no indication its loading down. i can hold gov linkage with finger and it will run steady for a brief time. tomorrow will try to adjust gov and linkage.
Wow, I would not have thought that was the problem at all. Did you end up adjusting the valves before rebuilding the IP? It seems like if the IP works when it is cold, it would work when it is hot. I have not had as much Diesel experience as other people on the site here though. I just think about how it would be with a gas engine not wanting to start when it is hot and thought a diesel would be the same basic principle.
So the million dollar question is what made it not start when it was hot then? What was the true cause of the problem? Sticky plunger in the IP? Maybe the heat caused a part to expand making it stick more under hot conditions (like a plunger)? My MEP-002A only has 5 hours on it and I fire it up once every 3 months or so to keep everything in good working order. Right now it is on a utility trailer under a tarp to keep the elements off it. Pretty soon I am going to put it in my garage (just closed on my house 3 weeks ago). I don’t have much room in there, but I just want to keep it nice and maybe help prevent something like this happening to mine. I know a problem with a lot of surplus equipment is that they sit for years on end and not get used. We all know that is one of the worst things to do to keep them stagnant.

tcastcas

wildchild congrats on new house. most likely plunger and button. appeared to be some signs of varnish on the plunger. the pump was NOS when purchased a month or so ago. no telling how long it sat on a shelf.

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many hours have you used the generator since you have had it? Would this problem have at all cured itself with additives? I know these generators are not multifuels but would adding some clean new ATF to the tank help clean the system and the plunger button? Again, I am not a diesel expert, but it seems like if it acted up a little but worked once it got going, the problem might go away if it kept getting used. That does not go for all situations obviously and you can make some things worse by still using it when it is not working right. I understand that some things just need to be taken apart and fixed. If you just had it for a little while and it only had a couple hours on it that you put on since it sat a long time, would there have been anyway it would have gotten any better on its own?

Thank you for the pictures by the way!

pahunter

On the first 002 I just bought, after preping it started and ran ok after a little cranking, I was really relieved. After shutting it down to check for leaks,oil level etc. it would not restart, not even try. Bled the fuel line again checked for fuel getting back to tank and tried again, cranked fine but did not even try to start. Trying to keep thoughts of injector pump failure out of my head I noticed the injector pump lever seemed to be stuck down. I sprayed it with some PB and worked it a few dozen times, it started right up and has been working good since. Simple, but it had me fooled as a newbe.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you get your RPM issue straightened out yet?

tcastcas

Ok, generator now works great. timed and installed proper button and the engine runs great. someone along the way also doubled the mounting shims, i suspect swaping parts at one point. now in the process of removing this engine and installing a rebuilt that was picked up from GL norfolk about a month ago. hopefully have a good genset with a spare motor.