• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

003a starter grinding and a couple of other issues....

Polycop

I've got a couple off issues that are plaguing my 003a:

1. Last week when I went to start it for it's monthly run, I noticed that the fuel didn't seem to be draining back into the tank (normally I can hear it) when the switch was in the prime setting. I wasn't sure if it was due to the fact that the tank was pretty full? Anyhow I went to start it and it wouldn't start and there was no smoke at all. The starter would grind on the flywheel before catching and the next thing I know the batteries are dead. The batteries are now on a charger. After thinking about it a bit I think that the either my fuel filters are plugged or (most likely) the fuel stop solenoid is stuck.

2. The little drain valves on the fuel filters don't drain anything no matter which way I turn them? Can you buy new valves are do I have to buy a whole filter assembly. I've never had the filter container off, could things be plugged up?

3. Even when it ran right (last month) the starter would sometimes grind as it disengaged while the switch was held to run. I'm adjusted the starter lockout switch by the oil filter to the correct setting but it still grinds.

Thoughts from the group?

Polycop

Nothing like working on a generator when it's cold out. That said, after looking at it a little closer I found that the lower plastic ball joint on the governor linkage split in half (page 132 in the parts manual). I see that the top ball joint has a parts number but the bottom one doesn't are they the same? I'll get a used one ordered, hoping that takes care of the running issue.

That still leaves the drain valves and starter grinding to deal with...

Harleyd315

The little plastic ball joint can be replaced with a steel joint, I got mine from the local speed shop. I'm not an expert but always wundered why such a critical part was made of plastic. The fuel filter housings should be cleaned and a little wire will get the crud out of the drain hole. I have also had to open the bleeder to get them to flow fuel also. As for the starter, I would make sure the batteries are good, fully charged and have the cold cranking capabilities the engine needs before making any adjustments or replacing the starter. Also check the battery cables, ends and ground straps on the machine as well. Good luck

storeman

If you need a starter, let me know. Careful on the grinding as it will eat the starter Bendix gear pretty quickly (probably not the correct gear description).
Jerry :beer:

storeman

Forgot to mention that drain petcocks can be cleared with compressed air easily. They gather crud on the inside of the canister. In fact compressed air can do a lot toward clearing your lines.
Jerry 2cents2cents

Polycop

Wooot, I ordered the offending plastic governor linkage ball joint from Tom at Gulf Coast and it's back up and running. Once it warms up outside I'm going to look at the starter as it appears that the bendix is sticking and check into the little fuel drains.

Thanks all.....

Jimc

my starter was grinding to. you are going to want to pull the starter and check the bushing on the end by the pinion gear. mine was so worn out the armature could move back and forth 1/8" making it not line correctly with the flywheel. it was so bad the armature was grinding into the magnets on the outer case. of course it wiped the flywheel as well. jerry helped me out with a new starter and flywheel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks