• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

004 doing the job! Thanks to sewerzuk!

SurfinElvis

My 004 project is complete, or at least it is complete to the extent that any project is ever really complete!
Single phase electric, powering the entire all-electric 2,000sf home, including one 3.0 ton and two 2.5 ton heat pumps, on free waste vegetable oil...yep, free!
Proud to say that for 38 hours straight the 004 allowed me to be completely disconnected from the electric grid while the outdoor temps were between 25 and 38 degrees with the three thermostats set at 65, 68 and 69 degrees (three floors). I used less than 1/2 gallon of diesel fuel to warm the genset's diesel engine, then manually switched to WVO and ran a little over 30 gallons of WVO through the unit in 37.5 hours.
My percent power meter never exceeded 90% under normal conditions. We used the electric stove, broiler and clothes dryer during the most recent test. Looking for more load to put on the unit, I decided to plug in my 3 electric heaters for my veggie oil filtration system. That pushed my meter to just above 100%. I would normally never use all three of these heaters at once, but I was using every load I could find!
My next step is to speak to my electric utility to "sell back" my electricity. More on that later.
Thank you sewerzuk, your single phase conversion has provided me a pretty awesome feeling of independence and self-sufficiency. Now to work on that desalination plant to provide fresh water...

1800 Diesel

My 004 project is complete, or at least it is complete to the extent that any project is ever really complete!
Single phase electric, powering the entire all-electric 2,000sf home, including one 3.0 ton and two 2.5 ton heat pumps, on free waste vegetable oil...yep, free!
Proud to say that for 38 hours straight the 004 allowed me to be completely disconnected from the electric grid while the outdoor temps were between 25 and 38 degrees with the three thermostats set at 65, 68 and 69 degrees (three floors). I used less than 1/2 gallon of diesel fuel to warm the genset's diesel engine, then manually switched to WVO and ran a little over 30 gallons of WVO through the unit in 37.5 hours.
My percent power meter never exceeded 90% under normal conditions. We used the electric stove, broiler and clothes dryer during the most recent test. Looking for more load to put on the unit, I decided to plug in my 3 electric heaters for my veggie oil filtration system. That pushed my meter to just above 100%. I would normally never use all three of these heaters at once, but I was using every load I could find!
My next step is to speak to my electric utility to "sell back" my electricity. More on that later.
Thank you sewerzuk, your single phase conversion has provided me a pretty awesome feeling of independence and self-sufficiency. Now to work on that desalination plant to provide fresh water...
Yep,I offered him a steak dinner if he ever gets to the FL panhandle, but I don't think he likes meat since he never replied.... :) Maybe you could get some Maine lobster shipped in if he ever travels up your way.... :) Come to think of it we get dozens of blue crabs during the summer months & could also have an old fashioned cajun crab boil in sewerzuk's honor--even if he doesn't make it to FL... :)

Glad to hear of your success on the MEP004A. I love the sound of that 4 cyl diesel running at 1800--that's music to me... :)

sewerzuk

Yep,I offered him a steak dinner if he ever gets to the FL panhandle, but I don't think he likes meat since he never replied.... :) Maybe you could get some Maine lobster shipped in if he ever travels up your way.... :) Come to think of it we get dozens of blue crabs during the summer months & could also have an old fashioned cajun crab boil in sewerzuk's honor--even if he doesn't make it to FL... :)

Glad to hear of your success on the MEP004A. I love the sound of that 4 cyl diesel running at 1800--that's music to me... :)
LOL I just have no reason to make it to the FL panhandle!
I lived in Orlando for a few years...too humid for me!
Enough steak, and I may make a special trip back to gator country.
But honestly, if you really want to lure me somewhere, give me a problem to solve that has confused a few other people. That's what REALLY interests me :)

1800 Diesel

LOL I just have no reason to make it to the FL panhandle!
I lived in Orlando for a few years...too humid for me!
Enough steak, and I may make a special trip back to gator country.
But honestly, if you really want to lure me somewhere, give me a problem to solve that has confused a few other people. That's what REALLY interests me :)
You're right about the humidity--the price we pay for living where we don't need a snow shovel and there's no piles of salt on the side of the interstates...as to generator problems without a solution, I've got quite a backlog of MEP4s lined up for resurrection...maybe something will get us all stumped and we'll call in an air strike or at least some artillery... you might still have to get south one day. Just come during the fall or winter. BTW, I might be traveling to BC soon but checking the map, it's quite a drive to Ft. Lewis...but the offer still stands if you get in the panhandle, drop a note in advance...we also have family in New Orleans so we get over that way pretty regular....