• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'08 SS Ga. Rally poll - please read & vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK folks, I need some input. Please read carefully, consider and vote. I will take the votes and comments into account but I reserve the right to make the final decision either way-the vote will not be binding.

Last year, the '07 SS Ga. Rally was held in a State Park, in North Ga. and featured a trailride on a National Forest access road. Pics are available here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=15096

There were pros and cons of the rally being held at the State Park.

Pros:
Very picturesque setting, all forms of camping available.
Roofed pavillions with shade and protection from rain and running water/bathroom facilities
Very cheap, cost of lodging + pavillion rental, etc.
Nearby attractions for wives, g/f's, kids, etc. (city of Helen).

Cons:
Trailride was simple, BUMPY and not terribly challenging. Also short (one pass and you've seen it all).
No access to a firing range.
Something of a distance between the primitive camping and the lodges/campsites/lodge, etc.

Ok, today BFR and I recon'd an offroad park today. It is a great venue, with 2,500 acres of 4x4 trails. They are an older park, with miles of motocross and ATV trails. They have recently expanded and created all of the 4x4 trails. We spent 3+ hours in BFR's Jeep doing a thorough recon of the trails. Some are too tight for a deuce, but on all of them, there is sufficient room for either backing up and trying a different route or workarounds which allow you to bypass difficult areas. There is no rock crawling and unless there is some serious rain between now and then, there won't be much if any mud bogging. I am including some pictures of the trails so you will have an idea of what they are like.

Here is their website:

http://www.durhamtown.com/index.htm

Their website has all the directions and costs of camping you will need.

There some pros and cons of this offroad park just like the State Park in Helen last year (nothing in life is perfect-)

Pros:

Miles and miles of trails with varying levels of difficulty
Availability of a firearm range
All forms of camping available (primitive, lodges, rooms, etc)
Availability of wi-fi (internet access).
We can do it a little later (sometime in October) to take advantage of cooler temps.
All lodging options within walking distance.

Cons:

Higher cost (see website for entrance fees of trucks & additional particpants)
100 miles further away for particpants from the West (Alabama, Louisiana, etc.)
Scenery is a lot flatter than what we saw in Helen.

Ok, the main points:

We had a pavillion all to ourselves last year in Helen. We could hang out and shoot the breeze and look at trucks, all with a shaded pavillion ten feet away so we could sit down in the shade if desired. Here, we would have a large, roped off area with a GP medium.

The main questions we need to ask ourselves are "what is my main goal, getting to play with truck on the trails or sitting around getting to know the guys" and "do I mind the additional distance and cost in order to attend"?

This poll will run until Monday night. Please add any comments you feel are relevant.

Thanks in advance,

Clinto
Head Ga Rally Chief

Attachments

CCATLETT1984

RE:

i vote for the offroad park, we were too spread out last year, and it was hard to keep track of what was going on. Hell I'm already driving 700+ miles each way, mileage doesnt mean a thing to me ;).

I would love the chance to hang out, and the offroad park gives the best of both worlds.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Helen was a great place IMHO and the time frame works for me. I have seven days off each month and they fall at the end of the month.
I also have to consider fuel cost and the fact that I will probably be driving the M52 which is slow and sucks fuel.
That being said I will make every effort to attend if it is held elsewhere.
Just my 2cents

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The park would make it more like Haspin rally. Only thing we have trouble with is getting everyone on the trail. If eating times are set, and then trail times are set, would help with the organization. We had 800 acres, and that was plenty big. Another thing is to have a map of the trails made. I tried to do this for haspin, but ran out of time. You need plenty of trails, so each ride is different.

There was plenty of time for BS. We usually wouldn't get a ride in till afternoon, then one after supper. A night ride is always cool.(they may not allow it).

Haspin crowd could be pretty rough. Get some late night, loud drunk partiers in the woods, and sometimes in the campground(which was not allowed, had to bring in the park guys to quiet it down) Our group was up till midnight, sometimes later, just jawing around the fire.

Just a couple things to think about. I pefer to run the trucks. Plan on making it this year, I would vote for the park.

Dennis

devilman96

I have to say I am really torn on what I would prefer but am prolly leaning more towards Helen... Its a proven site, it has all of the amenties you could (or could not) want and there is something to be said about being able to amuse the other half by taking her around to see the sites, Helen, Ruby Falls, mountians, etc with out getting totally bashed for dragging her on a week long trip / MV event...

The trail ride is kinda lame for experianced drivers but I think the views and terrian more than made up for it... I would suggest splitting the group up a bit more if we were to do it again. One for taking it easy and the other for being nuts! That ride would have taken on a whole new meaning at 20-30 mph, rears loose and sliding through the turns!

I also like the looks of Unicoi state park a lot better... I know a lot of guys will set up in the sticks but some of us cant get away with that... I love to camp in the rough... I do not love to camp for a week straight when women are / can be involved.

Both allow dogs...

The temps were great for the elevation, however yeah... For anything at lower elevation it needs to be in October (maybe Nov)...

The offroad park IS CLOSER for me!!!.. My butt would thank you!

Depending on how you stay.... Helen is free... Duram is going to cost a few more $...

*undecided*

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if a deuce has trouble on the turns, just think of the fun ill have getting the 819 around them, maybe knock some trees down and make a new road

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
My short synopsis…

Helen/Unicoi wins hands down when it comes to lodging/camping/atmosphere.
the trail ride could be the same or changed to several “convoys” that would spend time on graded roads like the down hill part last year.

Durham Town (the off road park) wins when it comes to driving opportunities.(but you will pay 35-50 bucks for the driving) shooting range, and the abilit to drive your deuce on a motorcross area in the dark (that is wheere the night ride(s) would be.

I am having a hard time deciding, but I think both would work well

jw4x4

I plan on attending no matter what. The only thing I'm not sure of is what vehicle(s) i am bringing. I just need a date and a location. I will take off work in order to be able to spend more time with the SS'ers. Maybe I can talk my buddy Recovry4x4 into bringing me up a deuce to drive!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well Clinto, wherever you decide to have it, the Columbus, Georgia fellers will show up with some pretty neat stuff. If ya go trail riding though the Guntruck and M114 will secure the firebase.
Give us as much planning time as possible?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anytime in the second half of October would work best for us.(need time to plan) The offroad park sounds like a great choice. We hope to make it.

GamaGoatGirl

You are not funny Gimpy!!! Maybe that is why Doghead didn't put in the dates I was in Florida - hoping you guys would pick them so he could go alone!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, it's looking like it's gonna be some time in October, at the offroad park. I am going to risk the higher costs and hope that the offroad games (and we have a few planned :D ) will justify it.

Will have an update in a few days.

Thanks everyone,

C

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, the Official 2008 Steel Soldiers Georgia Rally thread is up and running, please check it out:

http://shortlinks.net/kts313

Thanks for your input and votes, we appreciate it.

After this, this thread will be locked, please address all '08 Ga. Rally issues to the main thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks