• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

08 w/ 4l80e & 255/85R 16 build

1StumpJumper

So I have an M1008.

I posted an intro thread where I contemplated parting the 08. My vehicle situation has changed, so now I can put energy & resources in this rig. I am starting this thread to be more on topic. This will be the start of my M1008 build.

Here is the build plan somewhat in order.

Receive SF97 (waiting...), get title & collector vehicle tags
Upgrade/repair glow plugs
Doghead starter relay mod
Repair kingpins
Put 255/86R 16" tires on
Swap damaged body panels
Install 4L80E
Possible 203/205 doubler (no justifiable reason just a toy)
Spiff up / repair the interior
Paint

What I have so far
1 EA Stock M1008 needing some love
New HMMWV 4L80E (thanks GL)
Optishift controller & harness
Used set of 255/85R 16" tires
Suburban donor.
10 Spline figure 8 NP205

Any thoughts, experience & or opinions?

bshupe

Im picking up a 1031 today so I will be following in your wake as I am able. You're my closest SS contact so lets keep in touch!

Im planning to do the O/D trans swap also so I will be interested to see how that goes.

Last edited:

1StumpJumper

Congratulations on the new aquisition :beer:

We will definately have to keep in touch.

I will PM you my contact info.

Maybe we can do an unofficial ultra mini rally :driver:

bshupe

Im in. Hopefully there might be some (closet) SS members or trolls who live in our area as well and will be interested in getting some stuff going up here. I am working on making contact with a guy in Anacortes who supposedly has a very extensive MV collection. Im not sure he comes out to play very often but I hear he does parades and stuff sometimes.

Im looking forward to hearing the rumble echoing off the cliffs on Chuckanut Dr.

Ill PM you back with my contact info too.

Do you already have the 4L80E? reason being, as it is a strong transmission, but becasue its all electronically controlled. it will need a stand alone computer to shift correctly. and those arent cheap. it may be not cost effective for you. to get that fourth gear, you maywant to look at a 700r4 or keeping the 400 and adding a gearvendor overdrive..

do a search on here regarding the 4L80E as well as the Gearvendor drive, as theres alot info on this topic...

as for the 203/205 doubler... I have one in a M1009 and love it...:driver:

1StumpJumper

Yes I do have the 4L80E and a stand alone controller that I had on standby for the right project.

Thanks 1ton for the input on the doubler. Who did you go with on the adapter?

Cucvnut

the cross member you have now till work with a 205. also all 205's are gear driven. you just lose the low of a 208 when you go to just a 205 thats why people run doublers. I plan to run a 241 range box with a 205

bshupe

the cross member you have now till work with a 205. also all 205's are gear driven. you just lose the low of a 208 when you go to just a 205 thats why people run doublers. I plan to run a 241 range box with a 205

So are you saying that the 205 has no 4 low? I hadnt heard that before.

Cucvnut

So are you saying that the 205 has no 4 low? I hadnt heard that before.
No a 205's low gear is 2:01
A np208's low gear is 2.67:01
A np 241 which i have in my truck has a low range of 2.72:1

which case has a better low gear?

The 205 is a great T case its weakness is its low gear. that's why people build doublers for them

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks