• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

09 hard start

big bad blazer

hey guys i went out today to start my 09 its only been sitting for two days. when i cycled the glow plugs the light stayed on for about 15-30 seconds and i had to cycle it about 4 times and it started when i held the petal down. ive had the truck for two years and havent had to put in glow plugs or glow plug relay.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a great troubleshooting section for the glowplugs in the TM 8-2320-289-20.

When was the last time you fueled up? Changed the fuel filter? Ever replaced the fuel lines?

To many unknowns to give a definite answer.

cucv1833

hey guys i went out today to start my 09 its only been sitting for two days. when i cycled the glow plugs the light stayed on for about 15-30 seconds and i had to cycle it about 4 times and it started when i held the petal down. ive had the truck for two years and havent had to put in glow plugs or glow plug relay.
You had the truck for 2- years and havent done any glowplug maintanace?
Really need to go through the trouble shooting section on GP system in the TM. I would Test the entire GP system then change fuel filter if its been awhile then give it a go.

I forgot to add when it started it puffed some black smoke
Maybe thats unburnt fuel from holding the pedal down trying to crank???

mistaken1

Any number of things.

When you replaced the fuel filter did you bleed it according to the TM? Remove the IP wire before bleeding?

Troubleshoot the glow plugs according to the TM?

GPrez

I think it might be time for new glow plugs and maybe the glow plug card. Before changing them I would check and make sure the plugs are cycling off with the wait light on the dash. Use a test light and make sure the power turns off to the plugs before replacing them. You can also use an OHM meter to test the glow plugs individually, but if you never changed them I would change all of them even if only a couple are bad.

Testing GP with an Ohmmeter or test light:
Disconnect all of the glow plug wires. Set the negative lead of the meter to a good ground and touch the positive lead to the glow plug terminal. Any Glow plugs that measure infinity to more than a few ohm's is bad. You can also use a test light. Connect the test light to the positive side of the battery and touch it to the glow plug terminal. If it lights the GP is good. If not it's bad.

Last edited:

cucv1833

do the have the glow plug card a napa. i know the have the glow plug relay,should i get a new one of those too
Do you know if you card or relay is bad? Did you test anything yet? As said earlier you can get everything at Cucvelectric.com. You could rebuild the entire glow plug system for around $200.

Or you can do proper trouble shooting it may only be $10 part. Still have not got enough feed back to help you with the problem.

combatmech

Do you know if you card or relay is bad? Did you test anything yet? As said earlier you can get everything at Cucvelectric.com. You could rebuild the entire glow plug system for around $200.

Or you can do proper trouble shooting it may only be $10 part. Still have not got enough feed back to help you with the problem.
:ditto:

GreggVA

Having a similar issue and was looking for the correct area in the TM. I think I found it in TM TM9-2320-289-20 Unit maintenance manual for all variants CUCV.pdf starting on page 2-62 of manual (page 111 of .pdf).

I went ahead and ordered replacement glow plug and starter relays from CUCV Electric. I figured I would do the test and have either replacements or backups.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks