• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$1.00 Dollar a gallon, Recycled ATF from the local 10 minute oil change

How many Deuce,Multi-Fuel owners will actually take the time to reclaim cheap fuel..?

• Total voters

Ascinder

I don't know if you guys have checked yet, but I work at a National Guard Army Aviation Support Facility(AASF) and we have a huge tank for waste fuel/oil/hydraulic fluid from frequent oil changes and aircraft fuel sampling. I don't know how your ATF looks, but I can say that the stuff coming out of our aircraft looks almost new. It is definitely way better than any used ATF I've seen. I know we have to pay to have a truck come out and take it away. I know that as long as it wasn't breaking any laws our base commander would let someone do it in a heartbeat.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy, This is the pre filter set up, its made for gas and diesel. I am building a manifold to pre filter before the tank with the 10 micron, the filter system leaving the tank is a 5 micron then a 1 micron. I appreciate your Intel.

ALSO OF NOTE: If your storage tanks are steel or plastic drop a few LARGE magnets on the opposite end of the pick up tube, this should catch any and all shavings on the bottom and also magnetize the bottom area to help out.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Exercise caution in any case. Used oil tends to turn acidic. Also magnets will only pick up ferrous metals. You're not going to catch any aluminum or brass shavings that will be in used ATF.

Seth_O

I was in the local box auto store today buying engine degreaser (seperate thread on that issue....sigh.......) and a guy walked in with ~5ga of WMO. I asked the guy behind the counter and he let me walk out with it. Went right into my pre-filter barrel ;-)

I set mine up with a 75micron barrel top screen, then a 23 micron filter followed by a 2 micron. I am still seperating out my first barrel though (i.e. letting water settle to the bottom if there is any.) Looking forward to free fuel this year. I'd love to have a line on some ATF though, that's the holy grail of free fuel - and equally tough to come by around here.

Good score Island.....

Z0mbi3L0v3r

Exercise caution in any case. Used oil tends to turn acidic. Also magnets will only pick up ferrous metals. You're not going to catch any aluminum or brass shavings that will be in used ATF.
I have a newbie question. As far as the aluminum and brass shaving wouldn't the 1 micron filter catch enough of that to make it safe for the engine?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel station uses a 10 micron and a 5 so I would say YES. Patracy is right of course. If you don't filter this very well you might have problems.

I fill a 200 gallon transfer tank and put the nozzle in the fill tube and turn it on until the gallon meter reaches 800 gallons pumped. I think since you get it pre filtered and you cycle the ATF 4 times through the transfer tank I am alright. Remember you get to filter it again when you pump it in the tank.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easter Deuce on the loose..!

Yesterday, Easter Sunday, I filled up with ATF got her warm and took a ride down Woodward South to Jefferson, which is at the Detroit River staring at Windsor, Ontario Canada.

Woodward Ave is the Detroit Dream Cruise route.Then over to I-75 North back home. Trip took 2.5 hours and when I returned back to the lz I refilled with ATF and only burned 8.5 gallons. I would think 90 miles round trip. I had a good time. The Multi-Fuel has more pep on ATF over standard diesel fuel, more BTU'S per oz over diesel. I feel safe as a baby in moms arms in the city, everyone seems to get out of the way.

Attachments

Last edited:

stampy

Yes any diesel will run on ATF. As far as red color well just add a little WMO (which turns it black) as that new ultra low sulpher diesel needs the added lubrication from WMO for our old trucks RIGHT?:whistle:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stampy, hey man I missed your input on the Bug Out thread. Hows the hammer hangen..?

I will take your advice on the motor oil tip. I don't have a good source for that but will work on it.:driver:

stampy

Things are good I just got back from the NC rally are you going to Ga? Oh it may not take much motor oil to darken it plenty..your transmission connection may have WMO also.

Bum454ss

Awsome thread!

Gentlemen, thanks so much for all the info in this thread. This is my first post here but I have been lurking for quite sometime. I have a suburban I'm trying to sell for funds for a duce. Have been wanting one for many years and the fuel for my duramax is pushing the issue to the next level. Thanks again.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I called our local equipment rental place and talked to the owner I have known for years. Come to find out he pays to have his wmo/u-atf pumped out and discarded. His 300 gallon holding tank is pumped out every 2 months. Long and short, I got the job for free.

My reason for posting this is if you have a multi-fuel and are interested in free or next to free fuel all you have to do is look around locally and you will find a good source.

GreenBull

I called our local equipment rental place and talked to the owner I have known for years. Come to find out he pays to have his wmo/u-atf pumped out and discarded. His 300 gallon holding tank is pumped out every 2 months. Long and short, I got the job for free.

My reason for posting this is if you have a multi-fuel and are interested in free or next to free fuel all you have to do is look around locally and you will find a good source.
Don, if you have a source like that and you can pull oil off the top that's good. If you are taking the bottom of the barrel it’s pretty easy and cheap to make an up flow separator for any waste oil collection tank. Gravity and time are the best and cheapest tools for making motor fuel. It's also a good idea to give them a 55 gallon drum for any brake fluid and antifreeze as well as information on separating the glycol/solvent/waste oil streams. Pretty easy to find good info that Safety-Kleen and the other recyclers put out.

I do small engine shops. First thing done for most every small engine no start repair is to install known good fuel. I leave them some drums and get segregated waste streams of waste 2 cycle gasoline mix and another of their crankcase oil. With most small engine shops it will be 2-3 times more gasoline than WMO. I do 70/30% WMO/gasoline mix decanted, triple filtered and centrifuged. I use my own waste oil and clean low hour oil from Generators to make up the difference. With the segregated waste streams it makes it easier to get the blend right.

Iceman3005

For those concerned about transporting waste any thing, gas, diesel, etc. as long as it is less than 1001 gallons it does not have to be placard, you don't have to have a straight bill of lading for it, and the driver does not need permits to haul it. This is federal DOT regulation, if you disagree I have the DOT handbook in front of me. I am a truck driver, I haul gas, and yes I have read the DOT book front to back............(what a waste of time)! Now if it is more than 1001 gallons be prepared for some heavy fines if you don't do any of the above.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Diesels can run off a mixture of WMO in their fuel. But not anywhere near the percentage a multifuel can. The cat engines in the A3's are picky, I wouldn't risk it in that expensive motor...

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just filled up this morning with a combination of wmo/atf and kerosene. The kerosene was from a tank being removed this week, it's been in the ground for 4 years since the station was closed. I just drove 300 mile round trip and had no problems what so ever with starting or with power. Cold the engine starts and stays at an even 800 RPM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks