• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1,100-mile road trip...now knocking

Twinpinion

OK, I just picked up a Deuce (actually bought it from a guy here) and it seems to have picked up a slight knock. Or so I think. I could be insane but it seemed to get worse after an 1,100-mile road trip at 55-57 most of the way. I expect a lot of noise so I'm not just being a sissy about it. It just sounds different now. I searched around on here and found several other knocking complaints so it seems common but is it a problem?Anyway, I got 30 psi of oil when warm and typically 60-80 when driving down the road. This has not changed as the knock became more prominant. It is not the air pump. If I heard the truck for the first time and it sounded this way I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like a clackity industrial diesel. So my question is should I? Could the noise be from the valvetrain? Do the valves on these engines need constant adjusting due to solid lifters? Do they even have solid lifters? Any input would be great. Thanks!

rdixiemiller

Mine gets a little louder after a long drive. The diesel clatter is really loud at 2000 rpm, but drops off at 2200. Still runs good, so I don't worry about it.
The engine does have solid lifters.

Twinpinion

It sounds similar to a rod knock in a much smaller gas V-8. And actually the knock is only at idle. It seems to go away at higer RPMs and under load. So I doubt it's the rod or crank bearings.

It still has plenty of power too.

So if it has solid lifters how often do the valves need to be adjusted? Or do they?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks