• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1.5 Kw gen set

hmills16

I was given this generator this week and it is a DC unit, model CE-017 dated 1966. Beautiful shape. What can I run with this? I am not really sure the difference between a DC and AC unit. What is the little baby good for?
Hugh

Boatcarpenter

Maybe this will help;
DOD Model MEP-025A -- Hol-Gar Mfg. Corp. Formerly Hol-Gar Model CE- 017-DC and Military Design Model DC-1.5-MD/28 V, DC
If in fact this is what it is, you can run whatever you want as long as it runs on 28volts DC :D
BC

Scrounger

Most military radios are 24v DC and that generator would be used to run the radios in say a camp, forward base, or even a fire base. The way we used them was to dig a revetment that was surrounded by sand bags and had overhead cover for our generators. Then we would run power to the radios.
It could still be used to power military radios, especially if you get into them. A more useful thing for most collectors of MV’s is to power the DC lights in the back of 129s or shop trucks. It could even be used to charge dead batteries in a pinch.

CGarbee

The MBU's (burners for the field ranges and mobile kitchen trailers, etc.) also require a 24v power source so the TM for the MKT's detail how to power the units by generator (along with using a slave cable to a truck or using a battery pack).

hmills16

1.5 KW Gen set

Can I power a DC to AC inverter and then normal home power for lights and such? Use this as an alternate power unit? Can anyone recommend an Inverter they have used?
Hugh

Boatcarpenter

RE: 1.5 KW Gen set

Hugh,
There are lots of inverters for converting DC to AC in the marketplace, but I'm not sure whether you can even convert 28 volts to 110 volts which you would need to power items in your house. If you could even find some unit that would do that, I think the cost would scare you. If you have no need to power 28 volt items (such as military radios or charge 24 volt batteries) I would suggest selling it or using it as a partial trade to someone for one of the 110/220 3kw or 5kw units that would be way more useful and much easier to hook up for an emergency back up unit.
Personally, I have a sweet , low hour 3kw 400 hertz unit that I can use to power lights only. I have a 3kw 60 hertz unit that I finally found a voltage regulator for but don't have installed yet that I will use for alternate house power one of these days when I find the time to get it up and running.
BC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks