• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1.5 Ton trailer question

crownjewel4

I just purchased a 1.5 ton trailer from GL. I had a question concerning the glad hand hook up on the trailer. Is this something that must be hooked up, or can you just hook up your pintle hitch and pull the trailer. My fear is the glad hand needs to be pressurized to release the brake. Anything else to watch out on these trailers?

I can't believe you still need to do the EUC thing with GL. Seems like a waste for a trailer.
Any thoughts?
THANKS,
John:p

ida34

If the trailer has two glad hands then both should be hooked up. If air is lost to the emergency side then the brakes apply automatically. If this ever happens then you can open the drain on the air tank. As soon as all the air is gone from the tank the brakes will release. If you do not hook them up at pick up I would be willing to bet the air tank is empty so you would not have a problem.

If you trailer has only one glad hand then no problems because it does not have the break away system and the brakes will only activate when air is applied to the glad hand.

ida34

Yours is the one air line hook up without the break away feature. It does not lock up when the air is removed. Just check the handbrakes and you should be fine.

steelandcanvas

Connection not necessary, but desirable. System is air over hydraulic, just like a Deuce. I imagine the breaking distance would improve with a connection to the towing truck.

ida34

I think around $150 to $200 from GL. The racks add value but not too much. They resell for $250 to $400 if you can find a buyer.

crownjewel4

One last thing. This trailer does not have the canvas tarp. Do you gentleman know where I could buy one. I have not seen anything on EBAY or this site.
Thanks again,