• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1 month with the Deuce

dutchguy

Well, after having the Deuce for a little over a month, my wife doesn't smile anymore when boxes show up on the front porch. Santa must think I've been good. First, the necessities, like a new seat for her, so she didn't have to sit on the one most of the mice in SW Michigan called home. Then, new wiper blades, windshield glass, and turn signal plastic. New fuel injector line #3 almost fixed the leak (now it's just diesel sweat). Now to get rid of what looks like a water main for an exhaust. New J-pipe and stack showed up last week, now waiting on clamps and gaskets. Also ordered up fuel and oil filter set. Stitching on the soft top was mostly rotted, the replacement showed up today. The Deuce will be in our local lighted Christmas parade this Friday, so I ordered a small inverter, and stuck the lights on it Saturday. 20 degrees, after cranking the batteries dead, I was still getting just white smoke. While messing around in the battery compartment, noticed the dogbone is fried. Fixed temporarily. While bleeding the primary fuel filter, out comes water, black snot, and more goodness. The former owner was a WMO burner, I can't figure out how that stuff will pump when it's the consistency of pancake syrup. The 25 gal of diesel I've bought hasn't thinned it down much. I was toying with turning up the fuel, as she's a bit of a dog. FDC is bypassed. Now going to wait til I can get some fresh diesel / 2-stroke in her. After the parade, down comes the fuel tank for a scrub. Waiting on filters til after that. Then, gotta check out the non-functional flame heater, I'm sure the WMO has plugged the filter. More boxes to come......love it!

dozer1

Sounds like you are taking great of it. At least alot of that stuff is probably a "1 time and its done" type thing. Those boxes do add up after awhile tho. I am all too aware of that.

Ridgerunner

You know you have a problem, when after getting a Deuce, your on first name basis with the UPS guy :beer:

I'm in Holland, where in SW Michigan are you?

Flyingvan911

At 20 degrees you might need to give it a one second squirt of starting fluid. I spray mine on the inside of the mushroom cap. Then walk around and crank it. After a few cranks it should suck it up and fire. If you have te fuel manifold heater, don't hit the switch while cranking with the starter fluid.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dutchguy, you need to learn to get the boxes shipped to another address! Your wife will smile again when the boxes stop coming!:beer:

barefootin

You need to make sure there is a box for her once and a while, flowers included. My wife and I each have our toys. There for a while everything coming to the door was for her Land Rover D1 (of course I had to install them, but I didn't mind) She's even become a great helper. There are still those times however she asks if she needs to grow wheels to get attention.:razz:

HASSON1911

At 20 degrees you might need to give it a one second squirt of starting fluid. I spray mine on the inside of the mushroom cap. Then walk around and crank it. After a few cranks it should suck it up and fire. If you have te fuel manifold heater, don't hit the switch while cranking with the starter fluid.
I'm not trying to get off topic but i was told NEVER to start these trucks with starting fluid, you mean like ether, due to the explosion when it ignites can blow gaskets. Just my 2cents, since mine start easy at 0 with the use of the manifold heater after sitting for over 2 months , granted i know not all of them have those.

Flyingvan911

I have heard different things. Some deuces have ether starting kits on them. By spraying it in the breather cap it sucks just enough in to ignite the fuel.

I have found that cranking it to check for hydro lock first also helps it start better in the cold. I haven't been able to try it in really cold temps yet.

dutchguy

You know you have a problem, when after getting a Deuce, your on first name basis with the UPS guy :beer:

I'm in Holland, where in SW Michigan are you?
It's cool living in a small town, my driveway's a bit of a problem for the UPS driver, if it's too icy, they'll drop stuff at my son's place in town. I'm between Lawton and Mattawan. Your bobbed deuce looks like a fine ride!

dutchguy

One reason I'm changing the exhaust back to stock is to be able to take the top stack off, the soft top off, swing the mirrors in, and get it into my barn which I keep at 45 degrees (doors are 8' tall, 9' wide, I knew I should have built a taller barn). Then when I get the flame heater PM'd, she should be good to go at least to 0 degrees, I'm thinking. Big thing now is to get the pancake syrup out of the system, then get into the brakes and make sure they are good long term. Have been through all of the zerks, they were pretty fresh, and the diffs and tranny oil were up to level and fresh.

greenjeepster

I'm not trying to get off topic but i was told NEVER to start these trucks with starting fluid, you mean like ether, due to the explosion when it ignites can blow gaskets. Just my 2cents, since mine start easy at 0 with the use of the manifold heater after sitting for over 2 months , granted i know not all of them have those.
The Military uses Ether injection systems on these as an upgrade of the flame heater. The system was made by Kat and works great.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8kBRpl32a0[/media]