• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1 more m35 1 less m50

hemichallenger

I bought this m50 from gsa to cut up for parts. I towed it home and it sat for a couple months and I looked it over and thought it would be a good truck to fix up because of the twin circut brake system. I have been saving a lds and a winch to put on something and I thought this would be a good one to turn into a m35a2 w/w.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ted, that looks great. We look forward to seeing progress and the finished product!

What did you do to prep the engine for paint?

hemichallenger

Ted, that looks great. We look forward to seeing progress and the finished product!

What did you do to prep the engine for paint?

The motor is an lds that was in another deuce that I have had a couple years. I pulled it from the other truck and steam cleaned it then I acid washed it and steam cleaned it again and put 4 coats of 383 CARC substitute on it.

dozer1

I was not aware that there ever was a dual circuit deuce. Its a good thing you are saving it. That deuce is getting all the desired parts. Is that brake system something that could be adapted to the M35a2 ? You do nice work all around [thumbzup]

hemichallenger

I was not aware that there ever was a dual circuit deuce. Its a good thing you are saving it. That deuce is getting all the desired parts. Is that brake system something that could be adapted to the M35a2 ? You do nice work all around [thumbzup]
The only year that the m35a2 had dual circuit that I have seen is 1988.
If the master cylinder could be found it would be a easy change over. It also has 2 air packs.

Attachments

Flyingvan911

Nice paint job. What CARC substitute did you use? I noticed you said enamel, but what brand/type? Good work on the LDS engine. I would like to put a dual circuit system on my deuce sometime.

Desert Deuce

My 1987 Air Force M35A2 also has dual circuit brakes. They were done that way for the final Air Force contracts

I also have a 1985 M49A2C, it dosen't have the dual circuit brakes.

emr

One thing to remember that the brake systems in these trucks , never where known to be a problem in any climate or terrain on this planet since the 50s, they are robust and worked for more years than alot of others would, as for the duel system sure it would be better, but better than what, something that already works, that is the crux of it, But for sure anyone who feels the need go for it, its your trucks and that is your decision . this is basic info I think was asked for above, What U gain is a potential safety braking situation, if one circuit fails there is a back up, it has been noted in other threads about this, that when a pickup truck with a duel system fails all fail anyway, I have this experience, in my opinion these trucks could be built from the ground up to try to be perfect, but there is simply no need for this, they work and will work as long as there is fluid in the system, the braking system works incredibly well for what they are intended for, good luck...

dozer1

I agree with you emr that the deuce brakes do the job well and don't require modification. Just good maintenance is the best time and money to put into them. The duel circuit deuce that was mentioned just caught my eye and I wanted to know more about it. I have to throw this in though. Last year I blew out a rear brake hardline on my '92 chevy due to corrosion from road salt. The front brakes got me home safetly so I could make the needed repair. Maybe not always, but duel circuit can help.