• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1 or 2 hole injectors

nickd

Down with John Winslow this weekend I asked the question and his response was:

1 hole injectors give more power along with more smoke
2 hole injectors give less power and burn cleaner

I will be putting the 1 hole injectors back in for the power, my 1D engine is sluggish with the 2 holes installed.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
to see the attachment bigger, right click on it and select "open in new window"

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't know about that. Seems to me, the IP is what sends fuel to the motor. The injectors are just means of delivery. I have heard the 2 hole ones atomize the fuel better for a more complete burn.

FUSIONWELDING

i was just reading about these spray patterns now i forgot i beleive the two hole injectors more or less shoot a more atomized mist and the single shoot more of a fanned spray ill have to look and see if i can find it again n

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, the more atomized, the better the combustion and complete burn. You will get the MOST power and milage from the 2 hole injectors if both have the same fuel delivery ratings.

tm america

i thought only five ton injectors had two holes and had a fuel rate of 70 as opposed to 35 with deuce injectors which would give you more power and higher egts. you would probably get alot of smoke with two hole injctors because of all the unburnt fuel and there would most likely be a lose of torque due to overfueling

Bill W

My duece LDT also has the 2 hole ( I just replaced one)., 2 hole injectors were a upgade and superceded the single hole ones, same goes for the LDS engine

jesusgatos

I was only asking because it was just explained to me that part of what makes the deuce a real multi-fuel engine is that the injectors do NOT atomize anywhere near as much of the fuel as in a normal diesel engine.

Jake0147

I have no proof, but my logic would follow that less atomized fuel would be better suited to straight gasoline in this application... However they will still burn gasoline acceptably (for it's intended use as an "emergency" fuel") with the two hole injectors. Further speculation on my part would deduce that since the pump settings, compression, combustion chamber design, etc are unchanged, that they would have to treat the diesel fuel pretty much the same in order to use the injectors interchangeably, therefore I doubt that there's going to be a very large difference in performance with other fuels in that regard. The rest of the engine is still set up to burn fuel (even diesel) from a liquid state. So to atomize the fuel as a "straight diesel" injector would is going to require timing changes at a minimum, and I believe several other pump adjustments to work as efficiently as it should. Thus if two hole injectors are an improvement without such, then they still are working as originally intended... Liquid fuel. My belief (not fact) is that it has to do with smoke control as much as anything.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............. it was just explained to me that part of what makes the deuce a real multi-fuel engine is that the injectors do NOT atomize anywhere near as much of the fuel as in a normal diesel engine.
That's correct.

From one of my preferred books - "Trouble Shooting Manual LDS465-1 Multifuel Engine", page 7:

"The Hypercycle Combustion Process enables the LDS465-1 engine to perform successfully with a wide variety of fuels having cetane ratings from 18 to 60 without encountering "diesel knock".
The Hypercycle combustion principle differs from the normal direct-injection systems where the fuel is sprayed directly into the combustion air. In this case the fuel is sprayed against the wall of a combustion chamber machined into the top of the piston. Here, the rate of evaporation is controlled by the piston temperature. Through the use of a special intake port a swirl is induced in the induction air which scrubs the fuel from the combustion chamber wall and continuously supplies oxygen to the slowly evaporating fuel; the swirling air provides the correct mixture for burning. This process prevents the fuel molecules from reaching the cracking temperatures before a correct fuel-to-air ratio mixture is reached; thus it prevents knock from occuring while operating on low cetane fuel such as gasoline and turbine fuels."

Even if this manual refers to the LDS465-1 the above written and most of its content applies to all other models as well.
Very recommendable lecture!

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i thought only five ton injectors had two holes and had a fuel rate of 70 as opposed to 35 with deuce injectors which would give you more power and higher egts. you would probably get alot of smoke with two hole injctors because of all the unburnt fuel and there would most likely be a lose of torque due to overfueling
Not exactly, two holes doesn't mean twice as much fuel......: actually the LDS465-2 and -1A are one-hole nozzle tips, ALL other MF models including the 175Hp 5ton version LDS465-1 "should" be two holes.

See following chart with P/Ns which I've put together from various books.
(At least that's what the manuals say... :))

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bill W

The single nozzle on the LDS-465-1 was superceded back in 1968, my Continental LDS trouble shooting manual (1968 ) on page 25, states that upon inspection if one finds single nozzle tips ( one hole) that this "MUST BE CORRECTED" by installing 2 hole, so I'll "Assume" this also applies to the LDT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks