• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1 step forward 2 steps back

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
So I got my deuce from my storage location this Friday. Last I was there I was just getting started changing a tire prior trouble shooting the electrical system to determine why my batteries died enroute to Warner Robins over a month ago. Remember the tire got me and I've spent over a month recovering from a broken nose, surgery, and loss of blood.

I put in 2 used but tested ARMSAFE GEL batteries. I cranked it and the charging system was telling me it was in the green. So I figured I'd drive it home. No issues, drove great, got it home.

Had a list of things needed to accomplish on the truck. Got my A2C headache rack accomplished! Great! Small success.

Wiring harness repair of the wires leading to the flasher control box. I need training on how to crimp the douglas connectors. I suck at it and finally gave up and used standard commercial connectors with shrink tube and taped everything up. It worked, good to go and am confident it will hold real well.

I also repaired some GL forklift damage to the M1061 trailer. The wiring harness had some places the insulation was rubbed through. Repaired it. Tested it. Good to go.

THEN DISASTER HAPPENED. I moved the trailer to flat ground. Disconnected it. Went to start the deuce and heard a hiss pop and a plume of smoke. Battery now has a hole in it at one of the posts. I was concerned of a battery explosion so I did not inspect the battery and figured I'd wait to look at it later.

Later never came due to catching up on the honey do list.

Awhile back I replaced the twin prong slave cable receptical with the single NATO plug. Figure I hooked something up wrong. Didn't know that was possible but a mechanic I ain't.

I think I'll be looking for a huge quantity of explosives in order to put the truck out of my misery.

Oh, and I still have that pesky air issue where the low air pressure alarm will not go off nor will my gauge show above 30psi. So I got a leak somewhere. I ran (what I thought) was the entire air system with a spritz bottle of soapy water. Found a slight leak at the air pressure guage but it was minor. Still can't find the leak.

Torqued beyond belief. Just can't win. Got 2 weeks and no days off to get this thing up and running before I have to head back to MD/WV. Guess I'll be working some late hours.

jfnemt1ff1

Wow that sucks,I hope your luck changes quick. Can you hook up some type of gauge to the air compressor and see if it is making any psi. I had a batt due that and found that the cable end was not tight and pop on start up.
John

rlwm211

Hi;
Barring a defective malfunctioning compressor, I would check the "emergency" air connector at the rear. On my deuce, the valve leaks some and will be replaced. This is with the valve off. I leaks also with it on and a trailer connected.

In general, I would suspect a big leak as opposed to a small one as you would hear a hiss, but sometimes a whoosh is missed in the din of the engine.

Hope you get to feeling better and things do work out for you!

Last edited:

pjpiche1

Hey! If you have an air leak that does not allow the air pressure to build up more than 30 lb, it is going to be loud and very easy to find. Since that is not the case, I would guess that your compressor itself has some issues going on.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes you should be able to find that much of a air leak... comp might be the culprit.. hope you are feeling better and hope you find that problem soon Tim

Scarecrow1

Well Carnac I for one can say it does me good to see your still a determined old coot to say the least. Don't sweat the little things, trust me for every problem there is a solution . You will find the problem and all will be right with the world soon enough :p Glad to see you back on the wagon .......The big green one lol ........ :twisted:

Srjeeper

Kevin, sorry to hear Mr. Murphy is visiting you this weekend also. :evil:

At least this time you didn't stop anything with your face..[thumbzup]

I believe from what your telling us your not building more than 30lbs. pressure rather than a leak. You should certainly hear a leak of that magnatude, so I'd look at the air govenor.

They can hang up and cleaning will sometimes get things working again rather than replacing. :wink:

The move back perm or temp...:?:

Good luck...keep us posted..

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I have about another 14K pounds of stuff to get south before year end. I get to claim it on my taxes and need this break this year versus next. Thanks all. I have now sat down with a large rum and diet coke. That will help....sort of.

rlwm211

Hi Kevin;
I checked through the TM's and it would appear your unloader in the air pressure governor is not allowing the compressor to apply its output to the system. The system apparently either allows pressurized air to the system, or else diverts the output of the compressor the atmosphere and checks the system pressure.

As any moveable part is prone to sticking, I would consider shooting some light oil in the inlet side of the governor itself (that is the side connected to the compressor) and then put the line back on, and apply a gentle tap to the governor with the truck running and the comrpessor doing its thing.

Hope this helps

RL

Capt.Marion

I feel ya. I set out yesterday to do a few simple things on the deuce: replace the oil pressure sender, the oil pressure gauge, the water temp sender, and the air horn.

Well, I've got the gauge panel hanging halfway out in the cab, waiting for me to recontort myself in there and plug in the stubborn new plugs in the new gauge I installed, and I have to break out a tap to retap the captured nuts that the air cleaner head bolts to. And then I've got to drain some of the coolant so I can remove the heater hoses from the manifold so I can remove and replace the temp gauge sender.

And about two to three weeks before I can get back to working on it.

Completely failed to get any of what I wanted to get done over the holiday accomplished. Oh well!

onegmjack

Not being nosey what are you moving that 14k.pounds?Can it be moved from truck to truck by hand or is it fork lift material?Maybe some members could relay it to help you out.Just a thought.I'm close to interstate 81,20 miles south of Bristol.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the unloader in the compressor for the not building air thing. Also, check where the battery cables exit the box and go through the frame, they rub bare there and in the engine compartment where the B+ makes the bend to the starter, they like to rub bare there too.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Will. I definately need to do a end to end check of the electrical system. Since I went to the school for the mechanically declined, I wouldn't doubt I hooked up something wrong on the slave recept. Most would say that's impossible, uh, you haven't attended the same school I did.

Dwight,
I wish. It's actually everything from furniture to baby clothes/toys to tools to parts to whatever else. I moved here in July and was suppose to go back for this stuff 5 different times but each time, something happened such as breaking my nose, boss having a stroke (literally had a stroke at the office) so I had my vacation cancelled, wife having swine flu, septic system exploding in a new house, bank not approving the loan in time. I think that makes 5. Now it's in jeopardy due to this.

That does it, I'm changing my middle name to Drama. Cause Drama is my middle name. LOL.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kevin,

Sorry to hear about your luck. I think several people have hit the nail on the head with the air issue, It would be a very good idea to start with the governor mounted on the firewall. They are very easy to take apart and clean, so it shouldn't be a big deal...just watch the springs! If you have issues with it, just let me know, I have a take off governor sitting on the shelf, if you need it just shoot me a PM and it's yours (without testing it, I can't say if it's working properly or not, but it should be)

WillWagner has a good idea about the wiring too...I was going to suggest the wire feeding the starter, they run very very close to the frame right by the starter. I actually had to loosen mine up and swing it out of the way right after I got my deuce, or I might have been in the same boat as you are now.

stumps

The governor on any truck air system is a high failure part. If your climate is at all humid, you have to drain your wet tank daily. Right? And you get quite a puddle of water to blow out.

Well, your governor is in the same air as your wet tank, and it too is cool enough to condense water. Lightly used trucks have a really bad time with this, because the water doesn't get blown out through regular air motion.

Take the regulator apart, dry it out, clean any corrosion, and grease it up with a silicone grease and it should work fine. I have done this many many times on the various trucks I have owned.

Chuck

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks