• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 bolt **** out

bp m1009

i think its about time for a new rear axle my 10 bolt has been making the weirdest noises and grinding sounds i think its gonna go anyday. what is the best axle swap to do on a m1009? 14bolt ff?

Cucvnut

if you do a 14ff you need to change your front to a 8 lug set up also. you can keep your front axle just need to get the 8 lug set up for it. like off suburban from the junk yard. then you need new rims

or you can jsut get another 10 bolt.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOS rears are plenty cheap these days. Gives you time to obtain the parts for a 14B swap.

1stDeuce

Do a search. I recommend that if you don't want to go to 8 lug hubs, you go with a 90's 14 bolt semi-floater, or a late 70's 12 bolt semi floater. Both can be had in the 6-bolt pattern to match your front axle, and both should end up widening the rear track to be closer to the front, which is nice. The 12 bolt is a half ton axle, and it'll bolt right in. The 14 bolt sf will need spring pads moved.

Either one will likely be the last axle you buy, and they have bigger brakes as an added bonus.
C

84cucv1ton

hows my old truck doing by you? other then the axle? if you like i have a few sets of 3/4 ton axles from late 70s chevys.. pm or call if you like

bp m1009

hows my old truck doing by you? other then the axle? if you like i have a few sets of 3/4 ton axles from late 70s chevys.. pm or call if you like
well it turns out that i dont need a new axle. the horrible grinding and clanking noise were just my u joints trying to tell me that they probly hadnt been greased in years and they wanted to quit. so i just replaced both u joints for the rear drive shaft. cost me about $40 for the joints and about an hour to get the old ones out and new ones in not too bad.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't replace with 10 bolts, you will have the same problems. Get a 12 bolt rear and dana 44 front from any 70's chevy half ton. bolts right in.

jj

Now that you don't need one, let me tell you about the brand new, in the crate, front and rear ten bolts available at Coleman's Surplus in Millersburg,PA. Not terribly expensive, not terribly far from you, and simple easy bolt-ins. Did i mentoin they are new, never used? Yes, they are still ten bolts, but really, just how hard do you beat them? They are not a bad deal.

bp m1009

Now that you don't need one, let me tell you about the brand new, in the crate, front and rear ten bolts available at Coleman's Surplus in Millersburg,PA. Not terribly expensive, not terribly far from you, and simple easy bolt-ins. Did i mentoin they are new, never used? Yes, they are still ten bolts, but really, just how hard do you beat them? They are not a bad deal.
wats the deal?? then ill tell you if its not a bad one. i would feel bad putting any money towards another 10 bolt i have 2 other 10 bolts behind my shed

jj

When i bought my spares(a front and a rear) they were $395 each. That was Dec 2007. I have seen them on the Coleman's website and e-bay, listed by Coleman's for $295 each, but i haven't looked for them lately. Google Coleman's Surplus, it should be easy to find. They are in Millersburg,PA. Maybe a 45 minute drive north of Harrisburg. I don't wheel or stuff, just have to get to work in snow, so straight replacements at that price were too good to pass up. A hundred cheaper would have been even better.