• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

-10 outside and the m1009 started...

edgebar

-10 out, not counting windchill, and the old m1009 started, barely. i am impressed. new GP's is all i've done to since getting it from Ft Sill.
going to need to put batt charger on it tonight tho, its going to be colder

rikinwyoming

Interesting you posted this,,, I just wrote a friend today asking about cucv's and the cold,,, I am in wyoming (casper) and we have over a foot of snow and below zero temps as we speak!

41cl8m5

Started mine today about 9 am. It was about 15 deg with one week battery (only had funds for one will get the other next week), alittle slow but fired right over after about 4 seconds. I just put on a block heater last week after fixing a electical issue that keep it deadlined. The heater is a 600watt I could see the hood was warm (melted snow). Without the heater it would have been dead after 10 seconds, which happed to me last week at 30 deg.

My 1009 has started without a block heater down to around 0F. It doesn't get much colder than that down here. But wow is it noisy when it's cold! Like rolling downhill in a metal trash can full of ball bearings!

donalloy1

32f @ 08:00 this morning and fired right up. we are pretty much at bottom of trough now. may get one or two more below zero. let her warm up for about 5 or sounds like she is going to scatter?[thumbzup]

1waterdog

Mined started last night at -8, It is the coldest I have ever seen this morning at - 19.9 or -20 with windchill. I don't think the Glow plug relay was working it was so cold. The wait light came on but I could not hear the relay. It did not start even with a light either. (spray and crank do not wait for glow plugs to heat, by the time the plugs start to heat it is out of the system)

Wyofj40

I live in Gillette and mine started with a few cycles of the glow plugs last winter when it was -20. I have since installed a Katz tank heater and have had no problems with starting it.

67_C-30

Mine cranked back a few weeks ago in 18 degrees weather with no real issues, but as others have said they are loud, the glowplugs have cycle several ties, and it takes forever for the heater to get warm. I installed a Kat's 600v block heater and it starts with the GP's cycling only about 5 or 6 seconds, the engine starts right up, it's quiet, and the heater gets warm really quick. I've always had civi 6.2's and they have always had block heaters. It is much easier on them starting in cold with the block heated. For about $40, I don't see why anyone wouldn't do this mod.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks