• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 Ton M125 Repaint

emr

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]Is all can say...

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really am just curious and hope that my question comes across as a question, and not as trying to be a wisecrack.

When I looked at the marvellous copper plumbing you did for the brakes, I was asking myself if there was a particular reason why you would not substitute 2 (or 4) spring brake equipped brake chambers for the original brake chambers.

It seems to me that a pure air brake without spring brakes is not only outdated, but also not something you want in today's world of traffic and liability claims, if you want to drive the truck regularly, and not just show it/trailer it.

The Deuce/5ton brakes need a lot of vigilance already, but these trucks weigh less fully loaded than your beautiful truck weighs empty (I am exaggerating, of course).

My two cents..it seemed that it would have been an easy add-on at this point. Just wondering about the pros' and cons'.

Last edited:

Capt.Marion

It seems to me that a pure air brake without spring brakes is not only outdated, but also not something you want in today's world of traffic and liability claims, if you want to drive the truck regularly, and not just show it/trailer it.

I don't think it is possible to drive a 10 ton regularly... just saying.

hdmax

I found this thread about an hour ago, and read every bit of it! If I ever tried something like this, I would forget where parts went just a few days into it, yet you sir have been at this for a couple years and seam to remember every little detail.
This is the most awesome restoration project I have ever seen or read about.
You are an amazingly gifted man! You Brother would be so very proud of this work of art.

What size compressor do you use, and what type blaster? I am planing of a restore (Much, much lower scale that you are doing!) and am not sure of the type of sand blaster to get.
I have a commercial quality air compressor, and a 4200 PSI presser washer, so wet of dry blasting won't be a problem, but not sure what would be best!

Thanks for sharing your great talents with us mortals.

Dirt71

Thanks and keep the updates coming. If its not too late, would love to see a chassis pic without body and cab out in the sun.

Cheers
Well I've been wanting to do this for a while now. Rolled the chassis out today and washed all the dust off of it. It's time to get off my but and get this truck finished!! The property that I lease was sold so I will have to move, so I decided to liquidate some of the truck's I have and concentrate on the one that mean's the most to me. [thumbzup]

Attachments

Danger Ranger

OK, I got questions....lol.

What is the thing on the back of the frame? Is it part of the hitch assembly? Did those have a pintle or not? It looks like a great place to run a very large clevis through...
Also, that giant engine looks itty-bitty sitting on that enormous frame....
The progres looks great though, keep us updated.

Dirt71

HOLY CRAP!! An update. Installed winch driveshaft's with new universal joint's today. Hope to be able to stay on this thing now and knock it out. I would like to make the national this time next year in Mobile, Al.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Dirt - just a quick question about your restoration philosophy. When you do a ground-up restore like you are doing, do you try to use all new bolts/nuts/etc. or do you prefer to try and use the originals and clean them up as best you can?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks