• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 ton restored on Alfa

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are collector's that are exceptions, but most people with whom I have talked who have owned a 10 ton agree with me when I say that a 10 ton is better to look at and talk about than to drive. They are no fun to drive...trust me...overwidth...non-synchro gears...42 mph top speed and very slow getting there...TERRIBLE fuel mileage. They are cool trucks. I owned a 10 ton cargo ("Jumbo") previously. I just found it much more interesting to look at or talk to friends about than to drive. I asked many, many other guys who have had 10 tons (there are not many out there) and they concur. Proceed at your own risk...they are not for the faint of heart. It is not like going from a deuce to a 5 tonner...they are completely different beast altogether.

rockman

Bruce, great comments, many pieces of OD stuff including rough terrain folklifts and mobile cranes are cool but just not too practical for most of us. I think the 10 tonners border this line also..

Bill

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I saw this truck in Iola - it looks very nice. The original heavy duty off-road fifth wheel and ramps have been replaced by a standard commercial unit, which may be more practical as a User vehicle, rather than a collector vehicle. Tom or one of his posse all said the truck was powered by a 903 Cummins - so either it has been repowered, or the speaker (like many) confused the military V8-300 and the common commercial 903.

It also has the exhaust brake installed.

The sheet metal and paint appeared to be super-clean, and ran good. Made me want to go home and take mine for a ride, 'til I saw the price of diesel!

Regards,
David Doyle

emr

Man GOOD post!!, Nice truck, I would drive that thing anywhere...But know how tired I get in a deuce, and how long it took me to get get good in my ol" cckw352, but some things are just worth it, and thats one for sure...Nice/Great job to the owners,

beaubeau

I beg to differ with bkubu. I was privilidged to drive 10 tons in Nam, and I thought they were fun to drive!! It does take some experience to shift through the gears because of the 5 speed non syncro. , and the rpms do not drop as quickly as a 6 cylinder diesel. But sitting up Hi was great ant the size was a challenge!Most commercial RR trans are not syncron. and many people are driving them. It sure is a different animal than a Deuce, or a 5ton!!

dc3coyote

I could really use one of those. It might even fit on my driveway....If I annex part of the street and my neighbors yard.
I might even be tempted to trade my Pinz for one. Yes I know trade my nearly daily driver for a truck I could only drive a few times a month, but I am not known for making those pesky rational decisions.
Oh yea I want one :drool:
Wait if I was a practical person I would not have 4 dueces in my yard, and live in a deed restricted neighborhood

jeli

beaubeau said:
I beg to differ with bkubu. I was privilidged to drive 10 tons in Nam, and I thought they were fun to drive!! It does take some experience to shift through the gears because of the 5 speed non syncro. , and the rpms do not drop as quickly as a 6 cylinder diesel. But sitting up Hi was great ant the size was a challenge!Most commercial RR trans are not syncron. and many people are driving them. It sure is a different animal than a Deuce, or a 5ton!!
I'm with you on this. I drove 10 tons from '86 to '90- '91. I probably have 5000+ miles logged on my 10 ton. Comfortable? not really, slow? ahhh ya, loud? F'n A. It never let me down, always started even below zero. Considering the era it came from it did it's job well.

I wonder where the Alpha truck came from. A couple sold on GSA or MN State auction a year or so ago.

Condec

I also have a 1969 M123A1C with a 903 Cummins in her. Is the pictures that Dirt 71 put on not a Marine application engine? Valve covers are different and the external heat exchanger on top of engine would make it not a truck engine. I just dont think it would fit in a truck with that Hayden Cooler up there- also scope out the flywheel Dont want to rock the boat but I think its a boat engine. All the comercial 903s I have seen were VT903s with turbos and proper Jake brakes not the Williams Exhaust brakes fitted to some of these trucks I have been known to be wrong so correct me if I am OK

Chief1900

Lots of 10 tons around my area, nothing that looks that good. Guess if I had some armor to load and move it would be worth having those big rear winches.

m.walker

I tend to agree with Bruce it's a neat truck to look at and play around with once in a while but like the bridge trucks they are awfully wide to drive on crowded roads . On coutry roads or less traffic they would be a blast . Just sitting there though they have a type of awe or presence about them . Cool trucks though !

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks