• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 CUCV 4 Antenna Locations

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Hello all, when I purchased the 1008 from Ft. Riley I always wondered why the bed of the truck had used all four mounting points for the antenna positions.

It also has a power cable added, running to the passenger side to the inside of the bed. The bed also had at one time had a cover on.

What was the possible use of the CUCV?2cents

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a M1008A1
Communications Truck.

Radio Rack was in back and the cover protected it.

The NSN number on the data plate will tell for sure.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Thanks Tinstar, I looked at the data plate for the 84 CUCV and at the bottom right of the plate has number 14063382.

At the top of the plate it has CUCV Cargo or Troop 1008. The plate does have on the loading diagram a two sided antenna dimensions for transport?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck would be used at a comms hub with 4 identical radios, each on a different frequency, to communicate with 4 groups in a tactical environment.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I am beginning to believe that the truck may have been a quick up front communication vehicle with the 1st ID. With Armor, Air Assault, and multiple Support Detachments homogeneously, and cohesively active in close support of any action, the communication detachment would be a crucial part of any action.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Tinstar, I looked at the data plate for the 84 CUCV and at the bottom right of the plate has number 14063382.
At the top of the plate it has CUCV Cargo or Troop 1008. The plate does have on the loading diagram a two sided antenna dimensions for transport?
That plate is on the door itself.
Their should be one on the door jam.
It will have the VIN and NSN and other info.
The NSN will tell you exactly what it was.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Hello Tinstar, I have just went outside to look at the Data Plate on the door jam where underneath it is stenciled, 5-91 CARC. I hope that this can help as I really want to try and find the remaining parts to complete the unit to its intended purpose.

Thanks to anyone that can help with any kind of information or parts!

Stock Number 2320-01-123- 2671
CD30903
Date of Manufacture 6-84
NG1761
VIN 1GCGD34JOEF368335
GovPlanet Item Number 900743

Feel free to post pictures as I can not.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NSN confirms that you have a M1008A1.

Might want to look at your VIN again.
4th character should be a G.

2deuce

Would the 4 radios be RT524's? Could it have a an/grc 106? There are many plugins in the power box, I'm curious what a typical setup would look like.
Thanks to anyone that knows!

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Would the 4 radios be RT524's? Could it have a an/grc 106? There are many plugins in the power box, I'm curious what a typical setup would look like.
Thanks to anyone that knows!
Very good question, as I would like to know also so as to find the equipment used and return the truck to its intended purpose, if possible.

2deuce

I'm looking to do the same thing with my m1008a1. I've had mine a very long time, never used it, thought I'd sell it, now I want to find the parts to make it whole again. I need top bows!
I'm wondering if they are the same bows used on a M880? Do you cucvmule have pictures of yours? Do you have a mule too? We just got a mule recently is why I asked.

Thanks

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Thanks for the interest and mutual quest in returning our MVs to their intended use.

I am new to the use of computers so the picture end is quite new as well. As I purchased the truck from GovPlanet some pictures are available on that site. Auction number 900743 would get some pictures as bought, but now after replacing, adding missing parts, and doing some minor body work, pushing out the infamous forklift dents the truck is beginning to look better with so far minor effort and expense.

As for currently owning mules, the eating of hay kind, right at the moment, no, but not out of the question in the foreseeable future. The last one we had I called Chewy. When we got him his last owner, an older lady liked to give it chocolate suckers. His teeth were a mess, and I would come home from work and brushed his teeth until the chocolate was gone. I could not trust it with the grandkids so Chewy had to go. A little off topic so will let off there. But he seemed to like the canvas on my friends 5 ton, go figure.

2deuce

Sorry I wasn't very clear, my mule is of the M274 gas drinking variety, and it does have a stubborn streak that we are working on.
I haven't seen any M1008a1's put back to there intended use and I don't see any on the web either. If I had top bows, I could start putting it together. What radio's it usually had are a question too. This thread is the 1st place that mentioned that it could carry 4 of the same radios on different frequency's. That is interesting because it hints at it's function. I hope more info comes out.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Hello again, I am still on a quest to procure four antenna brackets and would like to find on Steel Soldiers then any where else.

Any advice on vendors would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks