• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 dead batteries?

asg13

More or less a newbie here..searched with no answers.
Truck ran 2 days ago. Went to start today and the wait light kept fading out..clicks very fast when turning key.

Again, my glow plugs ignite when i smash my pedal to the floor. Been that way fir 6 years. When the key is the start poaition, the battery indicator is in the red!

Can i jump the vehicle?it is still the 24 volt system. Which batter do i charge etc..

Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disconnect both batteries (take a picture first so you can hook them up correctly) and take them to the autoparts house. Have them test them and charge them if necessary.

sounds like the front battery has died.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be helpful to know the voltage on each battery. From there a little guidance can be administered. Since you have to smash the pedal to light the glow circuit, I'll assume this is an Alpha Heaven truck. There is no way to help with the information we have. I would also refer you to TM 9-2320-289-20 as well.

Keith_J

Three colors to the milstd voltmeter. From left to right, they are red, yellow, green and then red.

The left side red means the battery is below 11 volts. Yellow range is normal for engine off, it can go into the red during cranking but should not go into the red during pre-glow.

The green is normal charging voltage during engine operation. There is a white tick mark in the green, this corresponds to 28.5 to 29 volts, this is full charge state. The red on the right means battery voltage is over 29.5 which is over-charge and probably an alternator voltage regulator malfunction (full field voltage, max field current).

When alternators heat, they can drop output voltage, this is fine because battery temperature is probably high and this protects batteries from over-charge and electrolyte boil-off. As long as voltmeter needle is in the green with engine running, you are fine.