• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 drifting on acel and decel

Sarge29

OK, I just finished putting a set of 36x12.5x16.5 H1 bias tires on my truck. I used spacers on all 4 corners. At this time I have not lifted the truck but a 2 inch lift is in the works. I have a slight rub on the left front and a slight rub on the right rear on the front axle and the rear is clear. If the truck is level it does not rub but if it is twisted a little it does. I couldn't wait a week to get the U-bolts to lift the truck before the test drive, so I took off.:driver: After getting up a little speed then letting off the accelerator the truck seems to drift or move and the same thing when I step on it. I have checked all of the mounts on the engine and trans but everything seems to be good. aua What am I missing? What has everyone done to balance these square tires?

Cucvnut

bias play tires go out of round if they are not used and have the weight of a h1 on them or any other vehicle. so the tires might not be roound like a radial tire and that might be what you are noticeing

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same exact issues on my stock M1008. As it turns out, the RR tire was the issue. Start moving some tires around until the issues recedes.

Sarge29

OK, I will work on getting the tires sized the same on each axle.

SPECIALTYLC - What do you think is going on with the Detroit locker?

ryan77

I had that happen on my 87 civilian blazer, week later the rear end blew... Take the cover off and check the rear end..

1stDeuce

Check tire sizes first. If the circumferences are different, the locker will make the truck pull toward the smaller tire on accel and toward the larger one on decel. If it didn't do this before tires, start there.
C

Barrman

I think what they are referring to is how a locker will make a truck handle different than a non locked vehicle. I have a locker in the back of my 396 powered M715. The less air pressure in the 39" tall XZL tires, the more I can steer with the throttle. It is just a side effect of a locker. Learn to anticipate a pull to the right on acceleration and a pull to the left when you let off. The shorter the wheel base, the more dramatic the pull. Put a trailer on there and then drive in the rain. You won't do it twice.

stump

check the u bolts on the front and rear. check the hub bearings and for brake drag. also front lifting blocks are not legal for road use in some states. Just some things to look at good luck.

Sarge29

Thanks for all the help. What I found was the rear tires were different sizes. I measured the OD of the rear tires and there was almost 1/2 inch difference. I pulled all 4 and matched up a set for the rear and adjusted the air pressure to 35 in the left rear and 33 in the right and got them to measure out the same. Done the same for the front, then had another test drive :grin: The problem went away [thumbzup] Now just gotta get the longer u-bolts and put in the zero rates and finish the 2 inch lift and that should take care of the tire rub. Again Thanks for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks