• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 speed and MPG

Rich Johnson

Ive been looking at buying an M882 but a friend of a friend has offered me his 1008.
It has no pad on the dashboard, which means there is more or less no dashboard. Its got a rebuilt injector pump and there is some rust here and there, I saw it at dusk twice a while ago and it seemed like it was surface rust.

Hes offered it to me for 2200 minus the new batteries, so Ide have to come up with my own batteries to take it home.

My question is, what kind of freeway speeds can it make as a daily driver and what kind of MPG do they get with lots of higway driving?

m38inmaine

If you want to be kind to the engine 45, 50 it's really starting to scream. Expect 13mpg. A good set of group 31 batteries will run $150-200. Factory GM dashpads are discontinued, not sure on the quality of the aftermarket.

hounddog

Can someone give me the straight scoop on the difference between the 1008 and 1009 rear ends. Are they both the same, is one better for highway driving then the other?

Rich Johnson

Big difference. the 1008 has 4:56 axle gears, whereas the blazer 1009 has 3:05 (I think) and can do 65. My friend had a blazer that we used as our club meet vehicle for years. I liked it but I need a truck. l

Crash_AF

There are still some dash pads in the GM inventory, but they are getting scarce.

At 55, the engine is turning 2675 RPM on stock 235/85R16s. That makes the engine drink fuel and the engine is starting to get wound out. I swapped 4.11 gears into my 1008 and it's a little happier at 55 at 2400, but the fuel mileage is still low. Around town where it's under 45 most of the time, it does decent on fuel for a 1 ton truck. Once I get my speedo gear swapped out for the correct one so my odometer is correct, I'll try to get some MPG calculations.

Later,
Joe

burbn10

I got 16mpg at 50mph on the stock tires in my M1008 on the drive home from Mississippi. I have 37's now and get anywhere from 14-17mpg depending on how badly I abuse the throttle pedal.

91W350

My first M1008 was considerably better on fuel than this current one. It also had a very pronounced diesel knock, this one could almost pass for a gasoline engine. The earlier one would get close to 20 on the road, 17-20 at 45 to 48 mph. The current one runs around 14 to 16 on the highway.

The M1009s have a Corporate 10 bolt axle that a single man can load into a pickup bed. The rest of the series have 14 bolt GM axles with Detroit Lockers and 4.56 gearing. You will definitely want help moving one around. They are heavy and very stout. The front axle on a M1009 is also a 10 bolt, on the rest they have Dana 60's. A Dana 60 front axle takes two men and a healthy son to load... Glen

GATVILLE

My daily commute to work used to be 35 miles mostly highway each way, used to run 65mph in my m1028 on stock tires. Got around 13-14mpg. She definately screams at 65 (gps verified, speedo actually reads 70), wouldnt advise it but im extremely abusive on my truck, im hoping the 6.2 pops so i can 6bt cummins swap it. :razz:

EF-5

Would this be cruising speed or top speed? Nice build by the way! Can't wait to hear what it does on 42's!

spartan_185

I usually cruise at around 50-55. It seems the truck and I are most comfortable at that speed. I just took mine on a 350 mile multiple GL location recovery run in the middle of one of the worst Oklahoma summers we've had in a while. If you keep your foot out of it you will get decent mileage, 18-20 mpg for me. the truck is completely stock too. Just watch your fuel filters. If they're dirty they tend to rob power.

FLINT

I have a 1028 (mostly the same as the 1008)

I never drive over 50mph in it

I average about 16mpg - max ever was 19mpg on a highway trip driving exactly 50mph most of the time.

lowest ever was 13mpg - but that was mostly hauling firewood and using 4wd a lot

I think the fuel economy with these trucks is actually quite impressive considering how low they are geared and that my truck shifts into the 3rd and final gear at 25mph!!!

Hightechken

The M1008, M1028, M1031, etc all have 4.56-1 gears, So as pointed out, 45 to 50 MPH is about it if you care at all about your motor.......... I just switched to the old Hummer tires and wheels on the back of my M1031, And that does add almost 10 MPH without screaming the motor.

The M1009 Blazer, As pointed out, Comes with 3.05-1 gears stock, And will buzz down the freeway at 65MPH Plus no problem, AND get over 20MPG while doing it!

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my experience so far with my M1008; cruise speed 55 comfortably and mileage 10mpg best around town and 14mpg best on interstate. Stock 235/85-16's and stock everything else. IMHO; Probably the most cost effective mod--- I believe--- to make these 1008's into daily drivers is install a Gear Vendors unit. Sure it costs $3K--- but now you're living with readily available stock tires, wheels, and spares, no over-size tire/wheel stress on stock berings/drivetrain, etc., and your effective final gear ratio comes in at approx 3:50 to 1, according to GV's website. You will have a switchable six speed manual or auto trans which keeps your trucks stock rock-crawling capabilities while giving the vehicle longer legs on-highway in lower RPM ranges and no doubt, better fuel consumption rates in MPG.[thumbzup]

91W350

Mine beat 17 on the last tank. We went to Riley to recover two deuces, the 45 mph road speed is where the huge increase lied. In my experience, you pay a heavy toll for speeds over 45. I usually drive around 48 and get 15 to16 on the road. 10 to 12 in all city driving, worse on winter fuel. Glen

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my M1028, I've got anywhere from almost 17 MPG to just above 10 MPG, depending on what I'm doing and what I'm hauling. I'd say my average is about 15 MPG. I try to stay under 55 MPH on the freeway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks