• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 turn and brake light problem

fredrader

Ok,I got everything finished on my 1008 but the right brake light and right rear turn signal won't work.The front turn signal works fine though as long as I don't have the head lights on..I probed the wire to the rear turn signal/brake light and it's not getting any power when the signal or brake is on.The rear running light is working fine.Another thing is when I turn on the head lights the right turn signal indicator light comes on nice and bright and stays on..The front turn signal doesn't work when the headlights are on and I flip the right signal on.The right front marker and side light doesn't work either but they do blink when I use the right turn signal as long as I don;t have the lights on..All the bulbs are working condition..Any Ideas?? :oops:

dilvoy

On the right front turn signal problem, the socket for that light is no good. It is a problem with the ground terminal inside the socket, so buying a replacement socket from an auto parts store will solve that problem. The wires are a different color on the "Help Products" sockets, but if you just start from the center of the socket and keep switching the wires as you work your way out from there, it will work. I guess you could have a cut gound wire somewhere the socket or possibly someone already changed the socket and did not connect the wires well.

fredrader

dilvoy said:
On the right front turn signal problem, the socket for that light is no good. It is a problem with the ground terminal inside the socket, so buying a replacement socket from an auto parts store will solve that problem. The wires are a different color on the "Help Products" sockets, but if you just start from the center of the socket and keep switching the wires as you work your way out from there, it will work. I guess you could have a cut gound wire somewhere the socket or possibly someone already changed the socket and did not connect the wires well.
I just changed the right front socket and now the front turn signal and the marker light is working fine..The turn signal indicator light in the dash does not come on everytime I turn on the headlights either..So it fixed 2 of my problems..The right rear brake light and the turn signal still doesn't work..Still no voltage coming thru the wire..I probed all the way up to the cab and still nothing when I have the right signal on..I will check under the hood tomorrow and go from there..Thanks

CCATLETT1984

I agree with decodeme on this one, sounds like you have a bumb switch. to get to the switch you need to pull the steering wheel off. get a puller kit from the local parts store. makes life much easier.

badgmc56

You guys are right about the switch but you should be able to get at the wires at the bottom of the steering column without taking the steering wheel off.Just probe wires or connector with a meter and monitor voltage with signal on.It should vary fom voltage to zero if the switch is good.I have also had bad flashers do the same thing. Will flash on one side but not the other.

fredrader

Man I hope that it is just a flasher..I'll check..I probed the yellow wire all the way from the rear light up to the firewall where the wires come thru and no juice yet..I'll check under the dash next..Thanks

fredrader

Well I didn't do anything to it and all of a sudden now the right turn signal started working...That is the good news.Now for the bad news..Neither of the brake lights work now..I have a electric trailer brake controller in it and the light on the controller comes on when I hit the brakes which tells me that the brake light switch is working...I'm about to give up :(

badgmc56

Still sounds like a bad signal light switch.The brake lights run through the signal switch.You might try to wiggle the signal handle a bit with your foot on the brake to see if the lights come on.