• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 Wheel Stud Size

allenhillview

If I had after market wheels, assume new wheel flange is thicker at the nut, what is correct approach? Change all studs? What is oem size(length)that's in the drums, rotors? Has anyone had this? Or, are guys just hoping a half of a nut works? Is there a new nut that addresses this; to buy as well? Thanks , if anyone can add to this.

Last edited:

tim292stro

In bolts/studs, you want a minimum of two threads visible beyond the nut (unless you have acorn nuts, then you don't want to see threads :) ). If your studs are too short to even make it through the nut with thicker mounting flanges on your wheels, you are running the risk of stripping the threads and losing your wheel(s) in traffic.

Studs aren't that expensive, especially relative to getting sued or killing someone :). Just about any auto shop should be able to get you studs: Jegs, Summit, Autozone, Napa, O'Reilly, or you could order them directly from places like ARP.

And in my optinion, it's always best to go with "new" on critical connecting points like these.

Last edited:

tim292stro

I am having custom wheels built by Stazworks in Wisconsin, for my XM1027 project. I have Dana 60 front and Dana 70 rear, which makes the axles the same as the M1028A3 (Dually shelter carrier variant of the M1008 ).

So... Kind of? :)

Last edited:
not quite - D60 DRW front hubs = 77" WMS, Dana70 DRW rear = 73.5" WMS - I had to add 1.75" spacers to each side in the rear to get the same track width.

But would like to know the part numbers for front studs that are longer - 5/8" ideally. And if the stud holes needed driling out a bit in the DRW front hub...

tim292stro

You don't necessarily want the track width to be matched (unless you are trying for a look). The difference in the Wheel Mount Surface (WMS) values is due to the load center relative to the center of the spindle bearing (in general you want the load centered over the bearing, not cantilevered).

For matched Dual Rear Wheels (DRW), the load center is about at the mating surface between the two wheels (which is why the center bearing spindle sticks out so far on the rear axle). For the single DRW spaced front wheel (same wheel offset so that it can be rotated with the rear tires/wheels), the load center is approximately at the center of the front tire (which is why the front spindle is buried in the wheel).

Now in the specific case of the dually rear-end, the thickness of the rim's mounting surface can actually shift the load-center outward from the center of the bearing. You can counter this by using an un-matched set of rear wheels where the offset for the inner wheel is more than the outer wheel - this would shift the load center back to the center of the bearing, but would make it nearly impossible to rotate tires anymore (you'd have to dismount them every time). The other way is to get a Single Rear Wheel (SRW) front and rear axle set, and spacer the **** out of them - this would let you run a matched set of rims all around, and only require that you calibrate the spacer thickness to obtain the correct load-center one time at installation.

The reason for the custom wheels I'm having built is that I don't want to run any non-stock type drive-train parts (i.e. spacers). I have some on my Toyota truck, and though I sized them correctly to center the wheel load center with the center of the spindle bearings, most tire shops I've been to in the last few years won't touch the tires if there are spacers (some kind of liability thing due to too many bad spacer designs/installations).

To figure out the studs, you don't need a part number per say, you need a tape measure. Measure the thickness of your wheel, the thickness of your nut and take the threads-per-inch and divide 2 by that number. Then add all three: wheel mounting face thickness + nut thickness + (2/stud-threads-per-inch). That will give you how long the threaded portion of the stud needs to be. Then measure the thickness of the spindle face (where the stud goes through the spindle), and if included the thickness of the disc-rotor, or drum mounting face. Add those together: spindle face + brake face. That gives you how long the "knurl" is. Then add the knurl plus the thread to get the total length of the stud.

So you'd ask for a "{diameter} x {total stud length} with a {knurl length} stud".
[EDIT:] If you can't find an exact match for this length, get the next LONGER size stud (getting a shorter one would put you right back where you started) [/EDIT]

Since wheels and nuts come in all kinds of thicknesses, and we can't tell what if any changes you've made to the brakes, it's difficult to just quote an accurate part number.

Last edited:
not trying to hijack - but what are the bearing weight limits on the D60 Kingpin and D70HD axles? I keep reading 4500# GAWR on the D60 - so 2250# with no safety factor, but also have heard up to 7800# with 5000#, 5500# and 6000# also tossed around (snowplow's etc). For the D70HD 10,000# with, as you say, duals. Won't be going that heavy - went to the D70HD for the spacing ad the ability to match the track width without overloading the bearings (by my rule of thumb guesstimate...)

allenhillview

Hello, I'd like to bumped this tread. Has anyone installed a set of aluminum or after-market wheels to there 1008 pickup if so, did you add stud length to rotors, drums? I'm sure just going down to the parts store or looking on line will give me some results, thought maybe someone had approached this issue.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks