• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 won't start unless air filter is removed?

35Z-SGM

My M1008 has been running good until one day it just won't start! Checked glow plug circuit, replaced one GP, rest is OK. Fuel system is working fine. Checked air cleaner which looked clean but cleaned it anyway. While air cleaner was off I turned it over and it started right off so I replaced the air cleaner. After replacing the air cleaner it would not start again. Removed air cleaner cover and it starts right up. I am thinking that I have a vacuum problem or PCV valve issue?? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the filter housing bumping the pink wire on the IP? If so it may be causing the IP to not turn on.

Barrman

I think the pink wire is going to be the issue. However, look at the fuel return lines and make sure the air filter isn't pinching one or more of them.

Skinny

Weird

Maybe your 6.2 likes to run naked for more horsepower???

What if you start in sans air filter and slowly put the assembly in place. Maybe it will shut down when you where it makes contact. I agree, I would look first at the IP wiring since that will shut it down ASAP.

35Z-SGM

OK, after a few times of starting with the air cleaner cover off I am back to it not starting. I have since gone through the 289-34 procedure and checked the glow plug relay voltages, relay control card, and power to the fuel injector pump (pink wire) and have voltage and clicking. I am going to check vacuum lines and fuel lines tomorrow. Here is the kicker that has me baffled. If I give it a shot of starting fluid it will start and keep running and it will start after turning it off if it is still warm. Can this be a fuel injection pump or fuel injector nozzle problem if it starts and runs? Anyone who may have experience with this symptom please respond and advise on where to go next. I am hoping to keep the repair bill low and don't want to go the injector pump route if not necessary. Thanks in advance!

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Check your glow plugs with an ohm meter, they should read around 1.3-1.5 ohms if good. Blade of the GP to a good engine ground. I had a problem with my 1028A3 recently, and discovered that I only had 2 good GP's, very, very hard to start.

When I say blade, I mean where the GP power lead connects to the GP.

35Z-SGM

You are right, they will cause a problem. But I have been through the glow plug circuit and not found any problems, next step is going to the Fuel injection area. Hoping someone on here has seen this problem before and can save me some time troubleshooting.

Check your glow plugs with an ohm meter, they should read around 1.3-1.5 ohms if good. Blade of the GP to a good engine ground. I had a problem with my 1028A3 recently, and discovered that I only had 2 good GP's, very, very hard to start.

When I say blade, I mean where the GP power lead connects to the GP.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
You are right, they will cause a problem. But I have been through the glow plug circuit and not found any problems, next step is going to the Fuel injection area. Hoping someone on here has seen this problem before and can save me some time troubleshooting.
Have you actually verified the gp's are good? my truck would cycle the relay just like the plugs were good, wait light, the whole 9 yards. If you have not actually checked each GP with a meter you should.

I'm no expert but I had a starting problem when I bought my truck. If mine was any good as an indicator, if you can start and run with starting fluid then your fuel system is ok and your glow plugs are not.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Because, if you use starting fluid with a functioning GP system you would detonate the motor as soon as you turned the key to the run position.