• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1009 and 1008 towing capacities

bruno_rs

hey all new to site. what is the towing capacity of the 1009 and/or 1008? i just purchased a compact backhoe loader kubota L3450. the approximate weight of the machine is 5500lbs and my trailer is 1200lbs. will i have a problem towing this set up with either truck? thanks, looking forward to your replies.

Crash_AF

The 1009 is a Blazer and due to its short wheelbase, I wouldn't recommend large towing jobs. It can be done, but it's easy to end up in a 'tail wagging the dog' situation. 1008/1028 is a much better choice, although the going will be somewhat slow due to the gearing.

Later,
Joe

JohnFire

Also depends on if you upgrade your hitch. Max weight for the pintle for the M1009 is 1,200 lbs and 120 lbs tongue weight. The civilian class 3 hitch bumps you up to 5,000 lbs and 500 lbs tongue. Depending on your class 3 hitch some will go up to 7,500 lbs load sharing, and others will go up to 10,000 lbs load sharing. But just like Joe said it will be slow and expect some wagging. The M1008 max pintle weight is 3,160 lbs, and I think it is 300 lbs tongue weight. You can get a class 5 civilian hitch which moat generally are 10,000 lbs tow and 1,000 lbs tongue weight. No matter what you aren't going that fast since the M1008's aren't fast vehicles. Well downhill they are :D

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen some folks tow a M101 3/4-ton trailer with the M1009, without too many problems, but I wouldn't go any bigger than that. I think the M1008 would be MUCH better suited for towing what you have, but you might have to upgrade to a frame-mounted Class 3 hitch.

bruno_rs

hey thanks for the info guys. follow up question... if i am careful, can i use my 1009 (blazer) to tow my compact (5500lb +/-) backhoe, just to get it home? the original (swivel) pintle was replaced with what i believe is a 7500lb (stationary) pintle... using the original mount set up. it will be about 60 miles loaded. i'd rather not take the 1008 (pu) because of the gearing. once i get it back to our farm i'll be using the 1008 to tow it. i won't be straying from the farm very often, but when i do it will not be more than 20-30 miles from home. do you guys see any problems with using the 1008 to pull my compact backhoe?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
8 years ago, I had a Dodge Dakota with a 3.9 V6 in it. I had a Class III hitch, and was towing back a U-haul trailer LOADED with surplus from Mechanicsburg PA. The trailer was carrying at least four tons of heavy items from the DRMO there. I took the trip very slowly, but as I got further south, the clouds started building up and a little rain fell, just enough to make the road surface slick. Wouldn't you know it, after the rain stopped (but the road was still wet) I approached a light with about four people waiting. I applied the brakes and nothing happened. Pretty soon, the brake pedal was on the floor, all wheels locked and I was skidding toward the cars. I missed the back bumper of the car in front of me by 1 or 2 inches. TOO hairy.

After the fact, I figured that I just had bit off more than I can chew, and overblew the safe towing capacity of the truck. The key word is SAFE. You have to think not just about "is it safe for me to haul this and not get hurt?", but you have to think about "is it safe for me to haul this and not hurt others?" I should have taken two trips and been safe, rather than try and cram it all in and overload the trailer. I could've gotten in an accident that day, and any cop in this country would have ruled it my fault if I hurt someone else, regardless of road conditions (the "Act of God" clause in most insurance policies only go so far - if you get in an accident on a slippery road surface that could have been prevented if you hauled a smaller, safer trailer, don't expect them to cover your butt in that instance).

My advise, DO NOT use the Blazer to haul that backhoe. In fact, I wouldn't haul more than half the weight of the Blazer behind your M1009. If the Blazer weighs 5,200 lbs, your max safe towed load should be 2,600 lbs.

bruno_rs

maddawg308 said:
8 years ago, I had a Dodge Dakota with a 3.9 V6 in it. I had a Class III hitch, and was towing back a U-haul trailer LOADED with surplus from Mechanicsburg PA. The trailer was carrying at least four tons of heavy items from the DRMO there. I took the trip very slowly, but as I got further south, the clouds started building up and a little rain fell, just enough to make the road surface slick. Wouldn't you know it, after the rain stopped (but the road was still wet) I approached a light with about four people waiting. I applied the brakes and nothing happened. Pretty soon, the brake pedal was on the floor, all wheels locked and I was skidding toward the cars. I missed the back bumper of the car in front of me by 1 or 2 inches. TOO hairy.

After the fact, I figured that I just had bit off more than I can chew, and overblew the safe towing capacity of the truck. The key word is SAFE. You have to think not just about "is it safe for me to haul this and not get hurt?", but you have to think about "is it safe for me to haul this and not hurt others?" I should have taken two trips and been safe, rather than try and cram it all in and overload the trailer. I could've gotten in an accident that day, and any cop in this country would have ruled it my fault if I hurt someone else, regardless of road conditions (the "Act of God" clause in most insurance policies only go so far - if you get in an accident on a slippery road surface that could have been prevented if you hauled a smaller, safer trailer, don't expect them to cover your butt in that instance).

My advise, DO NOT use the Blazer to haul that backhoe. In fact, I wouldn't haul more than half the weight of the Blazer behind your M1009. If the Blazer weighs 5,200 lbs, your max safe towed load should be 2,600 lbs.
mike, you're lucky the brakes locked up and didn't blow a line... i see where you are coming from. i always put others safety at the top of my list. i'm just alittle surprized the 1009 ,w/1 ton suspension, wouldn't (safely) pull more.

JohnFire

Just adding on. the braking system on the blazer is 10,000 lbs max as I recall. Curb weight of the truck is 5,200 lbs as Mike said max payload is 1,500 lbs. In that payload you have to add yourself, any passengers, crap you have in the vehicle, and the tongue weight of the trailer. So the 1,500 goes fast. Then you add all that up, and the trailer and backhoe, you are way outside of the braking capability of the truck. I think the low gearing of the M1008 will help with the towing. When you go outside of your trucks rating capacity you open yourself up to being at fault. Here is a little info from one of the TM's

1. Curb weight: The weight of base vehicle with BII and all fuels and lubes topped off.
2. Payload: The operator, passengers, personnel gear, cargo, trailer tongue load, or anything on the vehicle that increases the gross weight above the curb weight.
3. Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR): The maximum gross weight at which the vehicle is permitted to be operated.
4. Gross towed load: The weight of the towed trailer and its payload.
5. Trailer tongue load: The vertical load placed on the trailer towing pintle by the trailer lunette. The lunette must be considered part of the truck payload and should not exceed 10 percent of the gross trailer load.

Crash_AF

That's just it, the 1009 doesn't have 1 ton suspension, it's a half ton rated truck. Wheelbase also has a lot to do with towing stability. The Blazer wheelbase is short enough that a heavy trailer can actually push the front of the truck around and therefore is not an ideal towing situation. If you go slow, the 1009 can do the job, but given the options, I would take the 1008, the trip will probably be done at the same speed anyway since you'd have to go slower in the 1009 to be safe.

Just my .02

Later,
Joe

ida34

I have never heard it called a 5/8 ton. Only a 3/4 ton and that is pushing it. I did tow my M103 home from OH with mine. Good enough to get it home but I would not haul it everyday like that. The M103 had the gensets on it also.

kdaniels

I had to tow a friends M37 back to his shop (fuel issues) with my M1009. I lucked out and had my newly purchased super duper tow bar in the back. He rode in the M37 and i didn't tow faster than 30mph. We didn't have to go far, maybe 7 or 8 miles but i never gave it a second thought. Maybe i should have in hind sight.

SEMPER FI !!

keith

Mike_Pop

While using my M1009, I've towed my 3/4 ton trailer with about 1 ton of stuff and I've hauled a 14' trailer with my Mighty Mite on it. I wouldn't go any heavier. The M1009 isn't strong enough to pull heavy weight. The truck is a dog with a trailer. Besides, the stock bumper is crapola and I wouldnt trust hauling a heavy load with it. That's the main reason I upgraded my bumper. Just my 2 cents.

2deuce

I have heard it listed as 5/8 ton also, half the capacity of the M1008. I once flat towed a M1009 with another. At 35 MPH it felt ok. Above that I had problems. It will start wagging just by altering the air flow around you at 50. Like if a large truck comes up close behind. I won't do it again unless I'm traveling a short distance at slow speeds.
Greg

bruno_rs

thanks guys, i appreciate all your replies, stories and honesty. the 1009 was never intended to tow (for me) any loads other than a small trailer. having just purchased the backhoe and wanting to get it back to our farm (asap) myself, i knew this would be the place to ask a question i needed answered with accuracy, honesty and seriousness. that being said, i do intend on using the 1008 to trailer the hoe but, it will only be every so often and on local streets at low speeds. at this point i'm leaning towards hiring a tow service to get it home. it will probably be the best couple 3 hundred dollars i've spent... never pays to be penny wise/dollar foolish AND more importantly, i don't want anyone to get hurt! by hiring the pros to get it home, i can "test" the set up locally and not be 60 miles away with truck and/or trailer "issues". thanks again for all your help. have a good one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks