• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1009 block heater

rsh4364

Last night was first night I was able to park close enough to a power outlet,I'm working out of town and staying in a motel.I plugged the tanks style Kim hots tart heater in at 8pm and started it at 530am.It started and sounded so much quiter,even better than it started in July.It was 2 above last night and will be the same tonight.All I can say is it was well worth the cost and work to install.It's my only transportation and it has to start and run.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Block heater is definitely worth the time and money.

I havent used mine yet
It was 15 the other morning and she fired right up.
Will plug it in for sure if it gets colder than that.

bwilson7990

Did one on my 1008 and I couldn't agree more. Still need glow plugs for that situation where you can't plug in, but man does she fires off like a modern day gas engine after having the block heater on. :D

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree. Mine was installed when I bought it and I have started it without it being plugged in in the mid 20's but now after trying the heater I'll be plugging mine in if it's below 30 I think.

corvette9

My 1028 had one installed when I bought it. My glow plug system works perfect but I still plug it in when it dips below 30. I have 2 civi diesel wreckers that stay pluged in 24 / 7 cause they may need to go anytime time day or night. I do it more due to the fact that it is just easier on the trucks when the motor is already warm.

rsh4364

It's gonna be 15 above tonight and I'm still going to plug my 1009 in,it loves.It normally starts well down to 5 degrees but is much happier with heater plugged in.

cucvrus

I put a GM block heater in my trucks. They have worked every year so far. i changed a few cords that is about it. I install the frost plug type in the drivers side center frost/expansion/freeze out plug. Wire tie the cord and secure it away from moving/heated parts and pinch points and you are good to go. I buy them from a GM dealer less than $50. US. IMHO that is all you need. It worked on every diesel I ever owned for the past 30 years. Good Luck. Stay warm. And keep your batteries good and charged.

bwilson7990

Is there a how to thread about this heater install?? If so can someone point me in the right direction? This cold weather starting of my 1008 sucks.
I installed mine on the driver's side of the block. They have a pinch style nut that spreads and locks the plug in place inside of one of the freeze plug holes. You have to drain the coolant real good, pop out the freeze plug with a small hammer/chisel (being careful not to knock it or any other metal/dirt into the inside of the block), and then clean the surface of the hole real good before installing the block heater element. (mine was nearly spotless TBH) Be aware that a good bit of residual coolant will come flowing out when you break the freeze plug loose and pull it out. Once it's done draining, install the heater and run the wire towards the front of the truck keeping it away from anything moving or that will get hot. The inside of the frame rail works nicely for this. I don't think it matters which direction the element faces inside the block but I would just install it in a way that the wires aren't making any sharp bends when complete. It would be a good idea to submerge it and test it prior to install as it would suck to have to tear it back out if it was faulty. Lastly, just reconnect all hoses that were disconnected for draining coolant and refill the system as you normally would during a coolant flush procedure. Mine hangs out the grill on the drivers side next to the lighting harness for my plow. Hope this helps! I'll try to dig up a few pictures of my install and post them here. I know I had some really high quality pictures of it at one point.

cucvrus

You do want to make sure the element is up in the straight up 12 o'clock position on the 6.2 diesel according to the GM instructions. If it contacts metal inside in will decrease the life of the element. I don't have that documented but have read it in several instructions of various different brand names and makes that I installed in fleet trucks over the years. We used to clock them and torque the center stud. Because it is a small 10-24 bolt it does not take much torque to strip the bolt or break the stud. Been there done that. Not a desired result. Put a small amount of coolant back in and check for leaks. If no leaks are present complete the fill and check the coolant level after you run it a bit. Good luck. I hope that was helpful to you. If not it may help someone else. It is note worthy information. Have a great day.

rsh4364

Get either the gm brand or a Phillips temro zerostart brand for the freeze plug style,if you go tank style get a kim hotstart unit,it's totally rebuildable.I used a kim hotstart tps-151GT10-000,works awesome.Earlier this week it was 1-2 degrees ambient temp.-10-15 with wind chill and my GP light only stayed on 5-7 seconds.I also run Rotella t-6 oil and have a Jatonka grill cover installed.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have installed the zerostart block heaters in all my MV's
Excellent quality
The 5 tons were a much easier install for sure.

My 06 duramax has factory one and still going strong

Quite a number of old threads that cover the install in great detail.

Also a couple battery heater work wonders. I think that's almost more of an issue than block heaters. We run block heaters on all our vehicles though and don't regret it.

tim292stro

IMHO: block, battery, fuel, oils. In that order as temps get colder.

The cold advance on the IP and fast idle is set to 100F water temp. If you can get your block above that, it will be quieter when it starts (advanced timing is louder).

Much below 32°F/0°C and batteries will not be able to convert stored chemical energy into electrical charge fast enough to overcome draws, which will result in lower cell and thus battery voltage. DC series wound motor RPMS are directly related to voltage, less volts means slower speeds and more friction. More friction mean higher current, and longer cranks, which leads to burned out starters and possibly welded starter relay contacts. Get those batteries warm before starting and it'll start easier - if you're going to power a battery warmer, might also look into a battery maintainer or charger to top them off too (charged batteries are less prone to freezing!!).

Straight #2 Diesel has a cloud point of between 23°F/-5°C and -18°F/-28°C, which is where the paraffin wax starts to crystallize in the fuel - eventually it'll plug up the filter and will starve the engine for fuel. Winter blends push in #1 diesel (which is essentially pure Kerosene) which has no paraffin in it to come out of solution and crystallize. This doesn't eliminate the paraffin content, it merely dilutes it so that there isn't enough paraffin content to consolidate. JP-8 is basically pure Kerosene Diesel #1, and it's what DoD is using under their Single-Fuel Concept initiative (when you only use one type of fuel you can carry more of that one and share it across all your equipment). Interesting read here that has to do with CUCV (6.2L/6.5L engine) testing... There are fuel filter heaters available (aftermarket), but you can also put a patch heater on the tank and circulate fuel with a little electric lift pump to circulate the warmed fuel through other components (like the filter, IP, return line, etc...).

When you get much colder than -10°F/-23°C, you need to start worrying about your lubrication oils too. Below certain temperatures your oil won't work the way it's supposed to with respect to reducing friction. A change-out in the fall and one in the spring at a minimum to match the service temperatures to the seasonal ambient range will keep the operating ranges of the oils "happier".
Oils.jpg
If you really plan on going into cold, like running through the snow etc, you might consider the arctic heater setup for the CUCV which warms the oil pan and transmission sump and transfer cases. If you don't want to put on the military heater kit due to its space claim under the hood, you can again go with patch heaters (they come in 12/24V too) and put an insulating pad over that to keep the cold snow away from your pans. Also worth thinking about is what happens to metal when very cold oil is pushed into a warm/hot block - you will get localized contraction of the metal, and if the temperature difference is severe, you could actually crack things (cold oil squirted on the tops of hot valves... yeesh). In Alaska where it's properly cold, these are common at public shopping centers to keep engines warm rather than running them at idle to keep them from freezing up:
block_heater_stantion.jpg

Another thing to not forget when getting your truck ready for cold, is the freeze point of your coolant. Summer mixes of 55%-coolant/45%-water will freeze at -25°F/-32°C (will start to slush up within 5 degrees of the freeze point, so watch out), winter mixes of 66%-coolant/33%-water will freeze only when it gets below -70°F/-56°C. Coolant should be changed every year OR tested for freeze point and anti-corrosion additive quality. I get the impression that if you run your truck in the cold of an icy winter and a hot summer every year, having two batches of premixed coolant concentrations would be worth it. :beer:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks