• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1009 drifts ever so often

CUCV85

:arrow:I got a blazer that likes to drift.
It did it about 6 months ago so I naturally replaced the steering stabilizer/dampner. I probably just masked the problem as is said.
I took it to Midas for their "Courtesy check"
And a half hour later 2 mech's ACE certified Whatever,
and the claim is Your steering box pin is poppin.
What the h e double hockey sticks are they talking about?
I took a look at 5 blazers my brother has
and they steer left and right identicle to mine.
Any takers Stumped and don't want to hit somebody with a drifter
HA HA go ahead snicker...

CUCV85

You should probably ask them to define your problem a little better. Did they say that you needed a new steering box?
:arrow:Midas said a New Steering Box Yes, they wanted 500.00
so I bought a REMAIN at AAP for 158.00
and then was told by family to hold off
to further diagnosis the issue
told most likely NOT the Steering Box. <----Usually a last resort.

rlwm211

adjusting over center preload

The steering box has two adjustments. One is the preload on the reciprocating ball and screw section which is factory adjusted and should not require any further adjustment.

The top of the box has an allen screw and lock nut. This adjusts the "overcenter pressure" on the steering box. What this does is predispose the steering to stay put. If this is too loose what happens is you can get a condition where the truck seems to not want to go straight down the road even if the alignment is perfect. It can get so bad that the vehicle can wander as you described.

I had this happen with my suburban which has the exact same steering gear as the M1009.

You can try adjusting the over center pressure. Normally this is done with the steering gear out of the vehicle or at a minimum with the input shaft and the drag link removed and an inch pound wrench using a special socket to fit on the input shaft. You can make minor adjustments to correct for wear and tear.

Loosen the lock nut on the allen set screw while holding the allen screw stationary. Turn the screw in no more than 45 degrees and lock the nut to hold it in place. Before driving make sure the wheel turns lock to lock without binding. If all is ok, then try a very cautious test drive at slow speeds to make sure you have not created a dangerous situation. Pay particular attention to how hard the wheel is to turn from straight into a turn and will the wheel recenter itself when you release it in a turn. If it will not, it is TOO TIGHT. If the adjustment is correct this should take out the tendency of the steering to wander.

Too tight and the steering can seem too heavy. If the power steering pump seems to labor when you are turning it is too tight. Normally, there should be a resistance to turning initially, but it should turn easily.

If the initial adjustment seems to help but not enough, then you may have to add a little more over center pressure. Proceed very cautiously as too tight can cause damage to the steering gear. Small adjustments are the key. I stress you can RUIN the steering box or cause it to bind up and cause an accident as a result. This is a finese adjustment. Once you have made a small adjustment, you will see what I mean in that respect.

If the steering gear just does not seem to "snug up" you may have a worn out steering gear. It does happen occasionally. If you do change the steering gear, remember to torque the mount bolts properly. If you need torque specs PM me.

ragedracer

The steering box has two adjustments. One is the preload on the reciprocating ball and screw section which is factory adjusted and should not require any further adjustment.

SNIP for brevity
I'm gonna have to try this. Mine steers too "easy". Very little resistance when I turn even with my 14" wide 33" tall super swamper boggers. It also wants to wander a bit at every rut in the road.

Maybe I can do this and 'firm' up the steering a little.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to consider adding a frame re-enforcement bracket to strengthen the frame in the steering box area. GMs are notorious for cracking the frame in this area during heavy use. You can look on the web and find them or someone here on SS can steer you in the right direction on where to get one.

CUCV85

"steer you in the right direction"

Might want to consider adding a frame re-enforcement bracket to strengthen the frame in the steering box area. GMs are notorious for cracking the frame in this area during heavy use. You can look on the web and find them or someone here on SS can steer you in the right direction on where to get one.
he said "steer you in the right direction" THANKS :grin: