• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1009 mystery issue

fuzzpuss

Thanks guys for all the help... I pulled the IP and sent it off to get rebuilt...it'll be back here in 2 weeks. The pump had a LOT of slack in the innards when I would rotate the shaft. Like almost half way around before it would catch anything in the pump. Needless to say, it appeared that they had replaced it before, just some gut feeling and some clues like a few bolts that weren't very tight. Also how much are the glowplugs to replace?

markg

Thanks guys for all the help... I pulled the IP and sent it off to get rebuilt...it'll be back here in 2 weeks. The pump had a LOT of slack in the innards when I would rotate the shaft. Like almost half way around before it would catch anything in the pump. Needless to say, it appeared that they had replaced it before, just some gut feeling and some clues like a few bolts that weren't very tight. Also how much are the glowplugs to replace?
let me know how it works out, glow plugs are available at the box parts store for about 6-8 apiece. ac/60g. 10mm deep socket to get them loose, and pray they come out in one piece, they make a tool if they are swelled. if you do break one off, pull the injector and get the pieces out. when you get them out put power to them, 12v on the blade and ground the base, see if they heat up. you might not need all eight.

Last edited:

stampy

If you are not getting a good stream of fuel out of the lift pump you might want to replace that also since you have a remaned IP coming. My lift pump is dead I think, Friday my m1009 wouldn't start after my filter change and it took a 12v pump to prime the IP so I figure I have a dead fuel pump ($22) at autozone. It's running now but it's only a matter of time.

markg

If you are not getting a good stream of fuel out of the lift pump you might want to replace that also since you have a remaned IP coming. My lift pump is dead I think, Friday my m1009 wouldn't start after my filter change and it took a 12v pump to prime the IP so I figure I have a dead fuel pump ($22) at autozone. It's running now but it's only a matter of time.
be careful putting a new lift pump in, the rod that drives the pump can become dislodged and break when you tighten the pump bolts. i put some heavy grease on the rod to keep it from moving out. you can also turn the motor till its at the shortest point . thanks. good luck

stampy

Thanks for the advice I read the TM and will make sure to grease that sucka up. From what I gather it's a total PITA to get to the lift pump.

markg

Thanks for the advice I read the TM and will make sure to grease that sucka up. From what I gather it's a total PITA to get to the lift pump.
its really not that bad, but if you break the pump rod its more expensive than the pump you just bought. i broke two in one day yrs ago. lesson learned[thumbzup]

also fyi, i installed a new lift pump on a truck without checking the clearance of the input tube to the frame. after installing the rubber line from the tank i see that the frame cross member is rubbing the rubber line , wich could cause a hole big time, sucking air over night. check it!!

Last edited:

67_C-30

its really not that bad, but if you break the pump rod its more expensive than the pump you just bought. i broke two in one day yrs ago. lesson learned[thumbzup]

also fyi, i installed a new lift pump on a truck without checking the clearance of the input tube to the frame. after installing the rubber line from the tank i see that the frame cross member is rubbing the rubber line , wich could cause a hole big time, sucking air over night. check it!!

Ditto, and if the motor mounts are shot it can actually rub a hole in the fuel pump. I saw one once that was so bad that the passenger side manifold was sitting on the frame rail, and it had a rubbed a hole in the fuel pump from sitting on the crossmember.

stampy

I had read that! I wonder if it is worth putting the line inside a steel pipe just in case. I plan on keeping my M1009 for a real long time.

markg

I had read that! I wonder if it is worth putting the line inside a steel pipe just in case. I plan on keeping my M1009 for a real long time.
i dont think thats necessary, just eye ball the way it looks after the install, in the case i sighted i bent the metal intake tube up 1/2 inch, fixed the problem. thanks. mark

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please add your State to your location information. This is a site requirement.

Thank you

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no answer, or I would have posted already, sorry.

I have seen "new" pumps that are bad.

rwoody

ran 2 weeks while i pcs'd to here------new g60 plugs with button drove to lunch everything good then no start and no smoke!

will try and get some gas and give it a try

rwoody

gp are fine..will not start on gas vapors--trys but can tell it has 0 fuel in injectors.
have elec fuel pump and return hose is letting fuel thru the INJ Pump--small return of fuel

I am thinking the fuel cutoff is not working..i can hear it click and have 12vt but 0 fuel at injectors(took line off no fuel)

bubba_got_you

has weird tamper proof screws so i cannot take ing pump top off as of yet--got to catch a ride to buy a bit or screwdriver

can you run it with it off to check?
no but you can see if it works by turning on the key and it should move. if thats not it id say you have an air leak and its time to check hoses. crack an injector and see if there is fuel when you crank

rwoody

no fuel when crankin

thanks

old mtr pool SGT about 12 yrs ago.. trying to remember the old 6.2 thanks

i also need a POC down here for the 8v92 series that i have in my motor home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks