• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

100A -> 200A/400A alternator replacements

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a '97 1078 with the 3116 engine. One of the mounting ears for my alternator is broken, and I'm wondering if it is worth upgrading to one of the 200/400A models? Are they direct swaps (my TMs only list the 100A, with no mention of the 200A and 400A).

Thanks!

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
200 amp comes as a kit. Suprman has them. Replaces a lot of parts. Instructions are limited. Since I hope to some day convert mine to a camper I opted for the upgrade when my alt crapped out. In reality the amps are split between the 24 and 12 volt side. So I'm not sure if you get the full amps per voltage. If you bump up to the 400 amp you would have to replace a lot of wiring to handle the quadrupled amps

scottmandu

Still have the broken alternator? I just need to get a good rear casting plate off it.
I have an old style alternator that has good castings. The depot monkeyed with it and I could never get it to work.
I've been unable to find an alternator larger then 200 amps that will fit on the truck. The 400 amp alts are huge and won't clear the turbo intake, and if they are moved outward will hit the shock tower and body.

I've also considered mounting a 185 amp 3KW 28VDC diesel gen set side saddle which would be a better choice if one want to charge batteries without running the main engine.

sarge351

200 amp comes as a kit. Suprman has them. Replaces a lot of parts. Instructions are limited. Since I hope to some day convert mine to a camper I opted for the upgrade when my alt crapped out. In reality the amps are split between the 24 and 12 volt side. So I'm not sure if you get the full amps per voltage. If you bump up to the 400 amp you would have to replace a lot of wiring to handle the quadrupled amps
I am interested in doing the same upgrade: 100 amp to 200 amp, Kit # 57K1912. Can you give me any more information? I have the Cat 3116.

The main component of the Kit is the Alternator N1216 200 amp Alternator. The street value of this is $500-$600 on fleabay. The street cost of the Kit is $1600. So I am paying $1,000 for mounting parts I may or may not need. I am paying 2-3X the cost of the main component just for the correct pulley and/or bolts?

Am I wrong in feeling jacked in paying $1600 for the complete kit? Is it worth the upgrade?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Have to check. I dont think I have any kits left. Its more than just alt and mounting. Has some new wiring and 200a power protection block. Which can really be eliminated as long as you never hook up the batts backwards. I have the armored apu 28v gens. They are rated at 5kw. You could find a 24 volt only alternator and use a 100a equalizer to maintain the 12v. May have to use some contactor relays to switch the equalizer you dont really want it powered idle for long periods it would drain the batts over time. Any way you go its still not cheap.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why buy on ebay when you can get the whole kit from me on here for far cheaper...... pm me for details......

Z

thetruckguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did the 200 amp upgrade when I bought my m1088 because the original was missing. I managed to find a reasonably priced alternator, but it was **** finding the correct pulley. I ended up fabricating a bracket. It was hard to figure out the wiring without instructions too. I am now finding out I may have hooked it up wrong. I would say doing it as a kit would be better, and less stressful if you can find someone selling one that actually has a conscience. Some of these surplus resellers really inflate the prices when things are hard to find.

scottmandu

I did the 200 amp upgrade when I bought my m1088 because the original was missing. I managed to find a reasonably priced alternator, but it was **** finding the correct pulley. I ended up fabricating a bracket. It was hard to figure out the wiring without instructions too. I am now finding out I may have hooked it up wrong. I would say doing it as a kit would be better, and less stressful if you can find someone selling one that actually has a conscience. Some of these surplus resellers really inflate the prices when things are hard to find.
Welcome to capitalism and supply and demand.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The last time I saw the complete kits at auction they went for over 650 each plus tax fees and shipping. Military trucks is not a cheap hobby.

sarge351

Thank you for the input! It is helpful to get the feedback.

I would agree with Suprman. This is not a cheap easy hobby. It is more like an expensive quest.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last time I saw the complete kits at auction they went for over 650 each plus tax fees and shipping. Military trucks is not a cheap hobby.
I know this is an old thread but i have a nos 200 amp alternator coming from the Gov auction site. with out the complete kit does that mean this is worthless?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is an old thread but i have a nos 200 amp alternator coming from the Gov auction site. with out the complete kit does that mean this is worthless?
I believe the complete kit included replacement wiring that is heavier duty, to handle the increased amperage, as well as possibly other higher-rated components (e.g. polarity box?).

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 260a alternator from Niehoff is about $3400 retail with regulator.

You do need a different shock tower and different mounts and of course larger wiring, but I don't think that would amount to $12.5k

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 260a alternator from Niehoff is about $3400 retail with regulator.

You do need a different shock tower and different mounts and of course larger wiring, but I don't think that would amount to $12.5k
Military spec stuff is really expensive (several times the cost of similar consumer products). That kind of pricing sounds pretty appropriate.

coachgeo

I have the 200amp alternator just not all install kit is the only reason i checked
My 200amp from a hummer installed with a hacked spacer to make it work with the different ear spacing from OEM 1001mp dual volt alt on FMTV A0. Also had to drill out the ears little wider to fit the bolt if I recall right. Had to move the regulator. Presently just zip tied to a spot. Ideas came from Fastidious Restomods youtube install of his.

Last edited: