• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

101a3 or 101a2?

RANDYDIRT

The trailer I have up for sale is a 101a2 converted to a101A3. I have seen a few of these. Anyone know how common they are?

Dirt

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you say converted, was the bed replaced with the widest version? Or, was just the axle replaced and tires changed? I think there are 3 beds used on the 101 trailers.

I have one that has Humvee tires, and wide axle but does not have fender flares or extra width between the wheel wells.

RANDYDIRT

That's what mine is DH. It is an A2 with the helmet hardtop and the wide axle. The data plate says A3, and that is how I have it advertised. I may need to redo my classified.... Opinions?

Dirt

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure and it 27F out, so I am not running out to look at mine in my PJs!

Pretty sure I remember a decent thread about the differences with pics.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3 beds might be accurate. The first bed is a standard width bed with 45" between the inner fender wells. The second design incorporates lifting points on the bed itself which required 4 more vertical supports inside the bed, still maintained 45" between the fenders. Some of these may have received a fender flare kit similar to the genset trailer beds when installed on the M101A3, M116A3 or M116A2E1 chassis. The latest bed not only has the lifting points and supports, the fenders were moved out 5" per side netting the interior with 55" between the inner fender wells. This is from memory and there may be more.

Edit, hey Doghead, I think we hit 89° today!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first A3's were converts from A2's...they changed axle, added fender extensions, and changed landing leg. The later A3's have one piece fenders with more room in bed area.
Greg

mistaken1

My trailer chassis is marked M116A1E1 but I cannot seem to find any details on what makes an A1E1 different from anything else.

The other side is marked M101A2. It does have an A2 bed and A2 surge break so am assuming that like the A2E1 a slightly greater weight rating is all that is different.

Does anyone have any information on what makes an M116A1E1 an A1E1?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pawnshop

I have not seen one of the M116A1E1 but I assume that would be the nomenclature for the heavy frame 1 ton version of the M116 without surge brakes, the addition of brakes would make it an A2E1. Your unit may have been upgraded to A2 configuration and not received a new data plate, OR the motorpool may have played musical data plates for some reason.

Pawnshop

To answer the original question:

Pix as follows:
1-M101A1/A2 standard body, outside
2-M101A1/A2 standard body, inside
3-M101A2 late body, outside (lifting rings, re-enforced, no fender flares) (on A1 frame!)
4-M101A2 late body, inside (re-enforced, wide fender wells inside)
5-M101A3 body, outside (lifting rings, re-enforced, wide fenders to cover HMMWV tires)
6-M101A3 body, inside (re-enforced, narrow fender wells inside)
7-standard A2 body over wide A3 axel with no flares and A3 data plate!
8-A3 plate

Attachments

Last edited:

Pawnshop

There are usually quite a few trailers listed with narrow fendered A2 bodies of various configs, with wide A3 axles under them, and A2 wheels on them. AND I have seen narrow A2 axles with HMMWV wheels/tires on them (which I understand cause clearance issues). The moral of the story is you have to look at the overall trailer to determine the "M" number, lust looking at the body or wheels or axle alone will not necessarily get you there. These trailers have been cobbled together for years and are a mixmaster of parts...

Attachments

RANDYDIRT

Well mine is the 102-3 with the bed braces and the wide axle. It also has the e-track mounting system for EOD and I would suppose S.W.A.T. usage. The hardtop is very good, and the trailer seems watertight. It also looked like the whole bed was galvanized.

Dirt

pmramsey

If you can lay a 4 X 8 piece of plywood flat in the trailer between the wheelwells, you have a true blue 101A3 bed. Add the larger tires (4 inches wider and 4 inches higher) with no tires outside the fender flares mounted on an M116A2 chassis, you have the bigger axle and you have a 1-ton rated, M101A3 trailer. I have one.