• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1028 2000 mile roadtrip reliability

truck1

I realize this is a speculative question,but I own an '85 M1028 CUCV that has 90,xxx miles on the odometer with an engine rebuilt /replaced in Ft. Sill,OK.I found the riveted tag on the block-rebuilt in 1/09.The vehicle was last assigned to the Utah NG,transportation motorpool XO's vehicle.I've put alot of upgrades into this truck.New brakes complete front and rear,replaced all fluids,kingpins,all new steering linkage,recored radiator with new hoses,new v-belts,4" lift,37" tires,new extended SS brakelines,oil,temp gauges,tiny tach,Gearvendor,and on and on.I want to drive this rig from CA. to CO. roundtrip on a hunting trip.I'll be towing an M101A2 trailer loaded with ATV.What are the odds of the 6.2 making the trip successfully?The truck runs great and I've given it several shakedown cruises with mileage on the freeway at about 20MPG.Any opinions greatly appreciated.:?

idM1028

I'd say no problem. I drove my M1028A1 about 1,000 miles in two days coming from NC to NE. And its bone-stock to boot. All I did to it was change the oil and replace the belts before heading out. I also kept it around 55-60 on the speedo (around 50 or 55 in all actuality) Then again, I also just cracked 40K miles.

Shankem-Deep

If you haven't already I would check the crank shaft counter balance (harmonic balancer) for wobble. If it has wobble replace. With that many miles at high RPM you want her smooth as possible.

Last edited:

Darwin T

i had that done also just because it was so old and it looked like the rubber was dry. if it wobbles i was told it could break your crank shaft. better safe than sorry.

hogtruck

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Repacked the front bearings, replaced tie rod, drag link, steering stabalizer, and harmonic balancer and all belts. Drove from Edinburg to Poplarville, MS ( dropped off M1009 axle for another member) then to Laplace, LA, picked up broken suburban, then back to Edinburg, MS. Total miles about 520. Speed on the Xway was about 65 on the GPS.

Attachments

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change your oil, get a complete lube job and drive the recommended MPH and as long as there are no major truck issues you will be fine.

When you get the finger for going 55 in a 70 when they zip by doing 80 just flip them back.Thats what I have done on several trips, Mi-Ca/ Mi-Fla/ Mi-New York, and back. I have put 30,000 miles on mine in 4 years with out any major issues, its all in how you maintain your beast. Treat her with the love and respect she deserves.

Thats my 2 cents.....Don

K9Vic

(For Texas) No you do not, you can get a temp tag from any Tax office as long as you have insurance on the exact vehicle with the VIN. Even if you are out of state, you still show compliance of Texas law to have a temp tag driving it home. If I had to drive a vehicle home without plates a long distance I would want insurance on it anyways, so a temp tag is just more insurance if you get stooped.

Darwin T

(For Texas) No you do not
Oh yes i did, thats the way i roll! :driver:

i had insurance. two of them did not have tags until i got them and the other two had been titled and licensed but were not with the truck and expired anyways. never had a problem. i did have the paperwork with me where i just bought them. the M1028a2/3 was from a car lot the rest were from individuals.

the trick is not to SPEED! :doh:

truck1

Thanks for the replies,I've decided to take the '98 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4 to CO. I know the 1028 will make it with twice the mileage,but it will be twice as slow and the Sierras,and Uinta Mt's in Utah would be a crawl towing the M101a2 all loaded down.I'll save the 1028 for local trips to the country place.Thanks for the encouragement, I really wish I could get the CUCV to CO. without driving it all the way.

Hightechken

I agree with Stonepicker1. Keep the speed reasonable and it should be fine. But that's the problem on the freeways...... Hard to hold it under 55-60MPH