• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1028 no start

trooper632

Im pretty sure my IP is done. I get fuel to the fuel filter bleed screw, pumps out strong while cranking the engine. I cracked an injector line while cranking and not getting any fuel there so I'm thinking its the IP. But what i dont understand is, I cant even get it to fire on either. Any suggestions on why it wont try to start on starting fluid. I know its bad to use it but i was trying to narrow down the problem.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this in TM -34

Step 1 Check for voltage at pink lead on fuel injector pump fuel shutoff solenoid while assistant cranks engine. There should be at least 9 volts.

If voltage is not correct, trace circuit. (See wiring diagram E-3 or E-5)
If voltage is correct, perform step 2.

Step 2 Disconnect pink lead from fuel injector pump fuel shutoff solenoid. Turn key to “RUN” position, Touch pink lead to fuel injector pump terminal and listen for
clicking sound.
If clicking sound is not heard, remove governor cover. (See paragraph 3-38)
Connect 12 volt power source to shutoff solenoid terminal and ground.
Observe solenoid plunger for freedom of movement. Clean or replace solenoid if plunger sticks.

cucvrus

But what i dont understand is, I cant even get it to fire on either. Any suggestions on why it wont try to start on starting fluid. I know its bad to use it but i was trying to narrow down the problem.

They will not run on ether. When no fuel is present you are doing more harm because of dry cylinder walls. Ether only works if fuel is present as a start aid only. I would say the injection pump s bad. I make no recommendations on a rebuilder. Beware of doing it yourself. It is a very complex, intricate, piece. Seek professional assistance. Happy Holidays.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be just a bad fuel solenoid within the IP.

Guys have replaced those themselves and solved their particular problem.

Don’t use ether even though it’s tempting. Way more harm than good.

trooper632

There is power at the IP, i hear the clicking when the pink wire is taken off and on. I'll probably just take it to the mechanic so he can replace the IP pump, amazing how expensive they are for such an old vehicle.

Chaski

When you break a line loose and turn the engine over are you getting any fuel at all out of the line? Drips count. It is a metered amount of fuel, not a garden hose.

snowtrac nome

From the sounds of it the quill shaft has broke, its kind of a fuse so if the transfer pump fails it doesn't do damage to other parts of the engine. If that happens your best bet is replace the pump with a reman unit, and let your rebuilder source the broken hard parts. they can run up a rebuild of your pump to not cost effective if you try to save yours.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks