• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1028 Street legal?

Melvinitis

Getting VERY fustrated. The WI DOT will not register my truck without the Fed Cert label. Mine is faded out and unreadable. The folks I am dealing with need some proof that it was designed for and complies with road use.

Does anyone have somthing offical that I can use? I sent a copy of the TM that says they 1008, 1009 and 1028 are designed for hwy use and OCCASIONAL off road use. But they want somthing that says it complies with the USDOT rules.

Thanks?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is this label you speaking of? What are you trying to register it as, an M1028 or a K30 Chevrolet? Should be a no brainer, it was a regular production vehicle.

AJMBLAZER

As much as I like them you might try talking to the folks at Alfa Heaven. They're in your state and sell registered CUCV's all the time.

rickt44498

Fed Cert Label...

if anyone has this label on their vehicle, is their a 7 or eight digit part number on hte label GM1234567 or GM12345678...

if so, it may still be available from GM. If the part number is still in the GM price catalog, ANY GM dealer could order it for you.

this label would may possibly resemble the emisiion label normally found on the top of the radiator support.

Wolf.Dose

These guys mean the label which says the compliance with the FMVSS regulations. However, these vehicles do not have that label. But GM should be able to supply that label, for as said in above posts, the truck is basically the same as the low level civilian version for construction companys (according to the pampflets of that time).
May be this helps.
However, these guys should be able to find out, which kind of vehicle it is from the VIN (1GCGD34J?E???????) .
1 = USA
G= General Motors
C= GMC Truck and Coach, Chevy Truck
G= Brake System rated 9000 lbs (H= Brake system rated 10000 lbs)
D= Military truck 4x4
3= 1 ton rating
4= two door
J=6.2 l Diesel light duty truck emission (Injection pump type DB28 )
?= Check digit
E= Model Year E= 1984, F=1985, G=1986
?= Assembly plant (3=Detroit, MI)
last síx= counting number
Vehicle Model code is CD-30903
C= 4x4
D= Diesel
30903 is the drawing number of the overall view of the chassis.
Dimensions:
lenght 5610 mm
width 2065 mm
hight 1915 mm
Curb weight from the scales: 2750 kg
front axle load rated 2000 kg
rear axle load rated 2490 kg
Gross vehicle weight with G-brake: 4077 kg / 9000 lbs, with H-brake 4490 kg / 9911 lbs (Tires!, else 4535 kg)
standard tires LT235/85R16 LRE
Rear axle load is limited by tire capacity! According to the door label it is higher (around 2700 kg, but I have the correct figure not on hand).
On the alu label on the left B-Pillar the original registration number is given as well as the date of the vehicle set into service. For these vehicles, if not a chassis cab, is identical with the production date.
In the glowe compartment there is a label that mentions all option codes in the truck. Keep the label, it is required to get the correct parts for the truck if they can not find the parts with the VIN.

Wolf from Germany
official recognized motor vehicle expert

Last edited:

Melvinitis

Wow, that last post is impressive. The sticker I am looking for is normally on the door. Look on your car and it will say complies with USDOT..... The sticker I have on the door is worn out, faded.
Of course I am trying to register it as a Chevy. The fact when they run the VIN, it shows as a D30 (which is different than a K30) they have issues. It shows as a USG vehicle and some USG vehicles are not hwy ready, hwy legal.
So I can order a compliance sticker from my dealer? If so that would be real awesome.
I do have all the other labels, like the glove box, but those of course don't say it is in complaince with DOT regs....

AJMBLAZER

No, D was the VIN code for a vehicle GM sold to the government. Most DMV's and SOS's associate it with postal jeeps and other "made for the post office" vehicles.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
that didn't take long. . . LOL

Disregard my earlier post, I was thinking it was Diesel because I saw D30 come up somewhere when I was ordering parts for it, but I can't remember where... :oops:

Last edited:

dc3coyote

Wisconsin is still havinga hard time with this stuff, Try looking in some of the Pinzgauer stuff, I know one of the guys was able to actually get the law changed, so Military Vehicles could still be tittled in Wi. But this is just more fuel to keep me from that part of the country.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks