• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1031 antenna mount

bshupe

Can anyone help me identify the antenna/base combo that goes with this mounting on the contact box of a 1031. It is mounted on the leading edge at the top on the passenger side.

Also, does anyone have experience with the base that goes there and if the antenna can be pulled down far enough and tethered to the front to keep it out of harms way?

Thanks!

Attachments

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it might fit the MX-6707 base for the AS-1729 antenna or the later version of the MX-6707 (can't remember number [edit: AS 3900]). Or, the hole pattern might also fit the AB-558 base for the much simpler (and useable, IMHO) MS-16 series whip sections.

Check out Fair Radio Sales antenna page at https://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php?mode=view&categoryid=188 and see if it looks the same as one of those.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the MX6707 base and AS1729 antenna on mine. I tie it down to the back of the box. Also, there should be a reinforcing plate behind the antenna mount, either on the inside or the outside of the box. I'd like a photo of it, if possible.

bshupe

319 - I will look tomorrow and see if there is a reinforcement plate on there. If there is I will get a photo and some dimensions for you and post them up.

Is the antenna you have functional? Using it for CB or something?

Thanks!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
319 - I will look tomorrow and see if there is a reinforcement plate on there. If there is I will get a photo and some dimensions for you and post them up.

Is the antenna you have functional? Using it for CB or something?

Thanks!
Just for looks.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
tennmogger is correct about that mount being intended for the MX-6707 and other bolt-compatible bases. That style of mount is used on many trucks, including deuces. It's commonly called the "sugar scoop mount", though that term doesn't appear in TMs. It's a different style of mount than the ones mounted on the sides of many M1009 trucks, but it holds the exact same antennas.

Even tied down, any of the whips/bases that will fit that mount will add a few feet of height to the truck, and tying the antenna down really far is bad from the base spring... not that it matters much if it's just for looks and it'll always be tied down.

Even the old (going back to WW2) AB-15 bases can be installed on that mount with a suitable adapter plate. I got a NOS late-1980s radio installation kit for my HMMWV which included an AB-15 and the adapter plate instead of the newer AB-558, because there were so many spare AB-15 bases in the system that they were still using them for new installations 40+ years after they went into service! The adapter plate is nothing more than a round steel plate with four bolt holes for attachment to a mount with the MX-6707 bolt pattern, and a center hole of the right diameter for the AB-15 base.

If you put an antenna on it, do make sure that you tie it down and are aware of the total vehicle height. A friend told me of an M-151 owner who pulled into a gas station with his MX-6707/AS-1729 up, and he took out a row of fluorescent light tubes on the roof over the pumps. :doh: The antenna would be even taller mounted up on your contact maint. box.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was trying to post a photo of the inside bracket but the upload manager isnt letting me right now. Sorry, I will try again later.
No hurry, just never saw one on a truck. Here are illustrations of the installation kit and the antenna with base.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
That's a standard sugar scoop bracket. Looks like you have pull through protection. I've seen several M1031's lately that have this bracket when coming out of service. It is one of the most common antenna brackets and will fit a very wide range of antenae. The most common was the MX6707 for 12 series and the SINCGARS antenna mount. These were also about the only radios these vehicles would have used.

bshupe

That's a standard sugar scoop bracket. Looks like you have pull through protection. I've seen several M1031's lately that have this bracket when coming out of service. It is one of the most common antenna brackets and will fit a very wide range of antenae. The most common was the MX6707 for 12 series and the SINCGARS antenna mount. These were also about the only radios these vehicles would have used.
Thanks CARNAC. That would also explain the large holes in my floor between the bucket seats that I thought were some kind of mounting holes for a large item and the very heavy cable that is wound around under the seats with the big electrical plug on the end.

I wish I had the radio, that would be cool.